6.2 cargo area whistle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time that I get on the throttle from slow speeds. I am getting a whistle from the rear cargo area. I can recreate almost every time. Not a drone and not buffeting like previous gen.

turn radio off and get on the throttle a bit from low speeds. Seems like it comes from back right which happens to be where the muffler sits.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a long whistle or quick whistle? I get like a high pitched chirp when I do the same thing but I read that it’s just the exhaust flap squeaking when the engine disengages AFM

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is thing is really strange. the sound that I get is like reverb or high pitched moan. It happens when I get on throttle a little bit at low speeds, not pedal to the floor. I do not notice it on the highway. it comes from the back right of the vehicle. I really feel like it is related to the extra flapper and the new dual exhaust. Nobody else hearing this?

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. GM engineering team engaged my service guys on this yesterday. The 6.2 has 2 resonators just before the exhaust tips. The passenger resonator is deffective not packed properly or baffle problem. They mentioned that they are started to see some cases on this and the fix is to replace the resonator.

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The resonator replacement did not fix my issue. Vehicle is now back in shop again with a loud sound wave / resonance in the vehicle when I accelerate. If you have ever done the wine glass trick where you rub a wet finger around the rim to make it "sing" that is exactly what it sounds like. It can be very loud and appears to be coming from the right rear cargo area only when I accelerate. It does not have to be heavy acceleration. I have been complaining about this from day 1 and GM engineering is involved.

Similar to this:

Also, had to have my 3rd row headrest fixed as it was not staying up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suitcase muffler was bad. Dealer replaced it and no more ringing in the cabin. I would hope that they are sending it back for GM to do RCA.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy, I sure wish they had GM reps researching this 2021 general discussion forum. We have presented numerous problems and concerns.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ unfortunately GM reps dont really care :(

they were here for a while & just dropped off completely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low

Latest posts