6.0 Engine and Transmission Emergenct

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a very junior mechanic before I threw out my back and had to find a different career path.
The very first question I was asked by the shop that hired me was,
"After you find out what the engine trouble codes are, what's the next thing you do?"
I answered "start wiggling wires to see if I can replicate the problem".
He said, "no, you clear the code, to see if it, or other codes, happen."

That day, I learned, clear the codes, THEN immediately start wiggling wires to see if the symptom resurfaces, or the code reoccurs.
That would've found you your moused wiring.

OP
OP
A

AlexMahon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree re: wiggling the wires. If I was as young as I was when I first started working on cars 65 years ago and could still get up and into the engine compartment, I would have tried it myself. The symptoms and codes screamed numerous electrical issue possibilities, not mechanical hard part failure. The second independent tech was on the right track, he just didn't go far enough. It's tough to psych out hundreds of different vehicles with thousands of different problems, so I think he did his best. But the GMC dealer tech had the advantage of working similar problems on similar systems on similar cars, so I thought he'd be in the best position to pyche out my problem. Some times you just have to pay the dealers their much larger rates to do what they are uniquely equipped to do. From the write-up, I paid 85% for the successful diagnosis and 15% for the simple fix.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a very junior mechanic before I threw out my back and had to find a different career path.
The very first question I was asked by the shop that hired me was,
"After you find out what the engine trouble codes are, what's the next thing you do?"
I answered "start wiggling wires to see if I can replicate the problem".
He said, "no, you clear the code, to see if it, or other codes, happen."

That day, I learned, clear the codes, THEN immediately start wiggling wires to see if the symptom resurfaces, or the code reoccurs.
That would've found you your moused wiring.

so I've read many times that the ecm will take a snap shot of the live data when the code was set. and that's always really good info to have. but it's lost of you reset the code first.

now to be honest, I've never once found this snap shot or where it's saved. my only guess is it takes a dealer level scanner to access it. but just saying, clearing the code first might lose some good data if you can access it anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts