5.3 v 6.2 daily use and mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gilboyj

Reaction score
Chevrolet website shows only a 1 mpg difference between the two engines in city and overall combined mpg, with identical numbers on the highway. Curious about this claim. Our needs will be 80% “soccer mom” based — running kids to various practices, clubs, etc. on a daily basis, with a few weekend trips scattered throughout. Trying to decide on the best engine option to fit our needs. Will not be towing.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The numbers that GM posts are somewhat suspect, in my opinion, as there are so many variables that will determine what you actually get. Type of driving, city/highway, how much weight you carry, etc.

With that being said, it depends on what you will be doing with your vehicle. Towing? I’d go with the 6.2.

Also, if you do the math, the difference between fuel costs on a vehicle that gets 16 mpg vs one that gets 14 mpg is minimal. If you drive 15000 miles a year and gas is $3.00/gal, you’re talking less than $500 a year difference in fuel costs.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, key information omitted. Considering 2021 Suburban Premier v. High Country.

If you can afford a '21 (which I can't), I'd think that the difference in gas mileage between the two motor options would not be all that relevant to you. Since you are looking at the larger truck body, I'd recommend the 6.2 motor. It will pull whatever you need, and when you drive it, it will also be fun to drive, when you step on it.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the HC and the Denali XL...both practically the same price as I "built" them online...leaning toward the HC.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were ordering a Tahoe the 5.3 would be great. If I were ordering a burb. I’d go with the 6.2. Just remember that the 6.2 must use premium gas.

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
I got my AT4 Yukon on 10/20 and my wife got her Escalade on Friday. I was completely happy with my 5.3L until I drove hers. That thing screams and the transmission feels smoother to me.

if you didn’t know the difference, you would probably be plenty happy with the 5.3L. It has plenty of power. You won’t notice much of a difference, if any, at the pump except for the premium fuel requirement mentioned previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71