5.3 v 6.2 daily use and mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my AT4 Yukon on 10/20 and my wife got her Escalade on Friday. I was completely happy with my 5.3L until I drove hers. That thing screams and the transmission feels smoother to me.

if you didn’t know the difference, you would probably be plenty happy with the 5.3L. It has plenty of power. You won’t notice much of a difference, if any, at the pump except for the premium fuel requirement mentioned previously.

I concur with this. The 6.2 kicks butt

OP
OP
gilboyj

gilboyj

Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon SLT with the 5.3 and average 20mpg overall. Slightly more HWY than city commute. On road trip to FL I got 23mpg. Currently have just under 6k miles on it.
Those are good numbers. I’m also strongly considering a 21 Yukon XL SLT. The dealers seem to be slightly more aggressive on pricing compared to Suburbans out there.

Are you otherwise satisfied with the 5.3?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are good numbers. I’m also strongly considering a 21 Yukon XL SLT. The dealers seem to be slightly more aggressive on pricing compared to Suburbans out there.

Are you otherwise satisfied with the 5.3?

At first I was disappointed with the 5.3. Just know that I was coming from a Ford Ecoboost, Nissan Titan 5.6 and a Ram Hemi.

Now that I've driven it 6k miles it seems to be just adequate. However the XL should be heavier and would likely feel more sluggish. If I was to do it all over again, I wouldn't have purchased it. I'd wait a year for them to work out the bugs and save the extra cash for the Denali 6.2.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon SLT with the 5.3 and average 20mpg overall. Slightly more HWY than city commute. On road trip to FL I got 23mpg. Currently have just under 6k miles on it.
That is not to shabby. Consumer Reports is posting up a detailed review and test results on a Tahoe LT awd November 19th. I will be very happy if I can get 23 on our long road trips to FL. We are averaging around 19 overall but that is 90% city.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not to shabby. Consumer Reports is posting up a detailed review and test results on a Tahoe LT awd November 19th. I will be very happy if I can get 23 on our long road trips to FL. We are averaging around 19 overall but that is 90% city.

I can't wait to read what consumer reports has to say. I am somewhat impressed with my mpg, especially since I always disable start/stop immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak