5.3 v 6.2 daily use and mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 requires premium gas and actually tows less than the 5.3. The 5.3 is not sluggish in any way. I don't think I could justify the 6.2 just for a faster 1/4 mile time...these are full size SUVs not sports cars.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 requires premium gas and actually tows less than the 5.3. The 5.3 is not sluggish in any way. I don't think I could justify the 6.2 just for a faster 1/4 mile time...these are full size SUVs not sports cars.
LOL, I drive mine like a dam sports car, the 6.2 stomps all over the 5.3 obviously you have never compared the 2 to each other.

to the OP go test drive a 5.3l and give it a workout, then go test drive a 6.2 doing the same. then make your decision. the gas mileage factor is nill

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I drive mine like a dam sports car, the 6.2 stomps all over the 5.3 obviously you have never compared the 2 to each other.

to the OP go test drive a 5.3l and give it a workout, then go test drive a 6.2 doing the same. then make your decision. the gas mileage factor is nill

Agreed, I had a 5.3 Tahoe and now have a 6.2 Tahoe... Gas mileage is like 1mpg different in the city, no real difference on the highway. The 5.3 IS a good, adequate engine... But it sucks in comparison to a 6.2 no matter how you look at it. For someone that only drives 5 miles to the grocery store, or taking the family to church, the 5.3 is perfect. The 6.2 is better suited for the heavy weight of the vehicle and makes towing a breeze.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the tow rating has nothing to do with the engine size, the the tow rating is based on the gear ratio commonly used in the 5.3 vs the 6.2 there are 6.2's out there with the same gear ratio and therefore have the same tow rating and if that is really a deciding factor the gear ratio can be changed if so desired.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Engine size is not THE determining factor for towing at all. I'm sure you can spec and order a 5.3 equipped vehicle to out-tow a standard equipped 6.2, but "the 6.2 tows less than the 5.3" is all sorts of bad info.

Generally speaking, the bigger the engine, the better the odds it has better hardware to tow heavier loads; research would be required to confirm. Either way, NEVER trust what the salesman tells you what you can tow and there is a LOT of fine print for GM claims as well...it's a hell of a lot more than what engine is in there...

Back on topic:

I've also owned both a 6.2 and a 5.3...get the 6.2. Neither is a prius and they are close enough in mpg that the benefits of the 6.2 far outweigh the experience of the 5.3. But as others have said, if this is a soccer mom type hauler, the 5.3 will be fine. But if I had the scratch to where I was cross-shopping them; 6.2.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my first 6.2. And I definitely drive it like a sorts car lol

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Engine size is not THE determining factor for towing at all. I'm sure you can spec and order a 5.3 equipped vehicle to out-tow a standard equipped 6.2, but "the 6.2 tows less than the 5.3" is all sorts of bad info.

Generally speaking, the bigger the engine, the better the odds it has better hardware to tow heavier loads; research would be required to confirm. Either way, NEVER trust what the salesman tells you what you can tow and there is a LOT of fine print for GM claims as well...it's a hell of a lot more than what engine is in there...

Back on topic:

I've also owned both a 6.2 and a 5.3...get the 6.2. Neither is a prius and they are close enough in mpg that the benefits of the 6.2 far outweigh the experience of the 5.3. But as others have said, if this is a soccer mom type hauler, the 5.3 will be fine. But if I had the scratch to where I was cross-shopping them; 6.2.

It's not bad info, it's fact that 6.2 max tow is 8300 vs 8400 for the 5.3.... Considering same gear ratio which is standard across the board on 21s.

Also I agree that MPG is similar, but cost of fuel is not... Premium vs regular. So if the OP is concerned with cost of ownership then that is a factor worth considering.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not bad info, it's fact that 6.2 max tow is 8300 vs 8400 for the 5.3.... Considering same gear ratio which is standard across the board on 21s.

Also I agree that MPG is similar, but cost of fuel is not... Premium vs regular. So if the OP is concerned with cost of ownership then that is a factor worth considering.

In the first few years of the GMT900 wagons, the tow ratings were inconsistent too. The Denalis were rated to tow less than later years at first and there were no changes mechanically between them. Might have been that they just weren't sure enough of their product yet. One of the new T1 pickup truck options picked up an extra few thousand pounds towing capacity recently because the engineers said it had excess cooling capacity to handle the extra weight. I think it was one of the diesels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645