4x4 service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walkthesky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2015 Tahoe with 52000 thousand miles. My local shop says I am due for 4 x 4 service. I’ve probably used the 4 x 4 two or three times in the last five years. I realize transmission service is pretty important. My question is, is the 4 x 4 service just as important to be on a regular schedule?

thanks in advance

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it listed in the owners manual?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the transfer case is spinning whenever the drive shaft is spinning. This includes the through shaft as well as the chain and initial part of the output shaft for the front. The only thing that is not spinning is the front half of the output shaft. That puts heat into your transfer case fluid as well as any associated particles that wear off the chain and other components.

Same goes for your front differential. The axles are spinning the gears in the front differential whenever your vehicle is moving, even if 4WD is not engaged.

In addition to changing the fluids as recommended, or more frequently, it is a good idea to cycle your transfer case into 4WD once in awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo