4x4 engaging question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im new to the site but this is my second tahoe. i have the famous blinking four wheel drive issue. last truck was only a bad fuse. this one no such luck. fuse good. when in 2hi i can spin front shaft by hand. in four hi the shaft locks but no power to front wheels. what should i check next? thx in advance. 96 tahoe 2dr.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
in 4wd modes the front drive shaft should turn equally to the rear drive shaft. assuming all four wheels are off the ground or you can very carefully see them moving while on the ground. there is no differential between the two drive shafts them selves. does this help?

OP
OP
T

thrashin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have yet to lift it off the ground to check. when i push the 4hi switch i hear the click on the tcasr. i can move the shaft freely until i hit the switch then the front shaft can no longer turn freely. with the shaft locked i still have no power to the front wheels and the switch only blinks. fuse is good. haynes manual is no help on tcase.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it sound like then the front shaft is locking to the rest of the drive-train then. unscrew the front actuator, and maybe catch some lube too. with the ignition on and parking brake on put it in 4hi. ensure the front shaft locks and looks at actuator has it extended or is it still retracted and check the voltage for it in both positions.

OP
OP
T

thrashin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it sound like then the front shaft is locking to the rest of the drive-train then. unscrew the front actuator, and maybe catch some lube too. with the ignition on and parking brake on put it in 4hi. ensure the front shaft locks and looks at actuator has it extended or is it still retracted and check the voltage for it in both positions.

what should the voltage be since it isnt in the manual and where exactly is it located?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i should also add that if it does extend then shut down screw it back in and plug it back in. try the sequence again. if the light still blinks then disconnect other connector for feed back switch and short together. if light stays steady you may have a broken feedback switch or something wrong internally in the front axle.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

systems volts. what ever your batt is putting out when truck is not running. front axle. left side iirc. looks like this.
main.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

there are only four wires going to the axle. 2 for actuator and two four feedback switch.

WalterMitty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Page 8A-38-2 of electrical diagnosis service manual indicates system volts on light blue wire (see expert comment above) and ground on black wire.

Location "RH Rear side of Front Drive Axle" pg 201-23 fig 35.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thrashin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok appreciate all the info. ill let you know what i figure out.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yeah i went back to look at the drawing and it shows it on the right side but in front. at any rate here is a reference to it to make it easier.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dwalk02

Latest posts