4WD or AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonoffroad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an argument with my friend and I wanted to settle this once and for all I have a 2015 GMC Yukon xl SLT I call it 4x4 but his dad keeps telling me that is is Awd because I don't have a 4 low I only have 2 high auto and 4 high and everywhere else I look they call it awd so is it 4x4 or awd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an argument with my friend and I wanted to settle this once and for all I have a 2015 GMC Yukon xl SLT I call it 4x4 but his dad keeps telling me that is is Awd because I don't have a 4 low I only have 2 high auto and 4 high and everywhere else I look they call it awd so is it 4x4 or awd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You can select 2wd or 4wd so in my book thats 4wd. If, like on the older denalis, it was not selectable.... thats awd to me. Just because there is no 4 lo doesnt mean its awd.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No transfer case -> 2WD.
Transfer case with a clutch to enable/disable drive to front wheels -> 4WD.
Transfer case with no clutch that always sends torque to front wheels -> AWD.

Transfer cases with clutches can have a single speed (4WD), or have the ability to shift between two speeds (4WD LO and 4WD HI).

Sounds like you have a part time, single speed transfer case. So you have 4WD.

"Auto" just means that the clutch in your transfer case is driven by a servo motor (as opposed to a manual lever), and that the vehicle can engage the servo and put you in 4WD if it detects wheel slip.

AWD systems typically don't have any selector switches at all. You can't disable the front wheels being driven (no clutch) and you can't change speeds (this would require a clutch).

HTH

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 I have a Denali I don’t have a selector of any type to get out of 4wd it’s in it always so all wheel drive

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3.

If you have a button that says 2 on it, you gots a 4x4.

4x4 comes in both single and two speed transfer cases. Sounds like you have a single speed.

AWD is AWD. All the wheels, all the time. No choice. No buttons.
yeah mon

Garandman

Reaction score
AWD systems drive all four wheels all the time.

Most 4 WD systems can’t drive all four wheels all the time: usually dry pavement. “Automatic” 4WD systems detect wheelspin with the ABS sensors and activate the transfer case. But because they don’t - can’t - drive all wheels all the time, they are 4WD.

To accommodate drivetrain speed differences, AWD cars have some sort of center coupling.

Subaru 4 cylinder automatic cars have a viscous coupling that locks up when it detects wheelspin, so the torque is distributed 50/50. If there is no wheelspin, most of the torque is transferred to the front wheels.

Most 4 cyl manual shift Subarus have a clutch pack in the center. Torque is distributed 50/50 front/rear until wheelspin is detected. Then the clutch pack locks.

The more expensive Subarus have the VTD drive system, which has a center planetary geared differentisl that drives torque 45/55% for better handling. They can transfer torque from 90% front to 90% rear. Most but not all have a rear mechanical LSD. The original Audi Quattro system also had a center planetary differentisl, often referred to as “Torsten” which stands for “Torque Sensing.” Older Acuras also had a similar center diff.

The most expensive Subarus have a driver-controlled center differential, which allows the driver to select front/rear torque distribution, or select a “driving mode” for pavement, gravel, snow/ice, etc. They often have front and rear LSD as well.

To make matters more interesting, many Subarus outside the US come with a low range....

The manufacturers play fast and loose with these terms. A number of vehicles like the Jeep Grand Cherokee may have a 4WD or AWD system, some 4WD or AWD vehicles may have a locking center differentisl, and many 4WD or AWD vehicles also have 4 wheel Electronic Skid Control (ESC) which uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin and apply braking to individual wheels to control traction or turning.

Many “cute-Ute” systems are described as “AWD” because of substantial variations in the amount of torque transfer they allow: shut off above a set speed; or use clutch packs with limited duty cycles that cannot be used full-time.

aducknut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have a 3 speed 4WD transfer case.

It would be a 4 speed 4WD transfer case if you had 4low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287