4L60e died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the time has finally come. After 205k (10k with a Whipple S/C), the original 4L60e has stopped catching 3rd gear. I know that I could simply rebuild it, but I've been toying with the idea of a 4L80e swap. Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching this?

Or if you have the answers to a few questions, feel free to just drop them here.

How do the gear ratios compare?

How much would I need to change? I know the crossmember would need to be moved, and the ECM would need to be flashed, but the computer would control it, right? Would there be any issues with smog?

Also, mine's a 95 with the plug on the side (later version), so what year 80e's should I be looking for? Is there anything specific on them I need to get or watch out for?

I realize it's a lot of questions, but I haven't had a lot of time to research on my own and if I'm going to swap or rebuild, I'd rather do it right the first time and not have to worry about it for another couple hundred thousand miles.

Thanks guys.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then its a plug n play deal.
get the dipstick and tube. crossmember, driveshaft, extend your cooler lines with good reinforced rubber line.
install that biotch and do what lil electrical you need, then tune it. Or find a ECU out of a HD version of your ride with same engine and plug that biotch in..

Done!

If ya real smart. take it to shop have it ripped part, hot tanked (then painted a nice bright hulk green!), checked for major damage, and install new clutch packs.
Now you never worry about a trans failure due to go pedal abuse again!
get yourself a good converter while your doing this swap. There's nothing like a good converter to make your ride feel fast and destroy tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure I need the crossmember? I've read that our trucks are pre-drilled for either transmission, you just have to move it back on the frame about 5 inches, but the holes and stuff are already there.

I also wasn't sure if the plug connectors would be the same.

I'm not too worried about getting it flashed, because I was already going to get a tune. This is going in my 1995 Yukon with a Whipple on my TBI 5.7. I already have a 14-bolt from a 454, so I'll probably do that at the same time and have a much stronger drivetrain.

Thanks for the replies, Doug. I'm definitely going to have the trans checked, but $650 is a lot better than the $2600 I've been quoted for beefed up 4L60's. I wouldn't even mind having the 80 rebuilt or strengthened right now if I needed to, as long as it works and I don't have to worry about it for a long time. I'm planning on keeping this thing forever.

:cheers:

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've seen that thread and saved the info. I contacted my tuner, and he said he would be able to just reprogram my computer to run the transmission.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to bolt it up, move the crossmember, change the driveshaft, hook up the cooler lines and shift linkage, and then get the tune and I should be good. haha. Long way to go, I've been working a lot and haven't had time.

I also need to track down a good TC. Anyone have any suggestions who to go with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA