40,000 KM Lifter Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... I thought I had squeaked past the lifter issue. It is a Jan 2021 build GMC Denali with a 6.2L. We just hit 40,000 KM, 25,000 miles and the engine had never been an issue. Like so many others on here, truck started shaking followed by traction control warning, crash detection warning and stability control errors. Then smoking profusely out one side of mufflers. Had trucked towed to dealer. Just hoping it is not a 3 month wait to get it back. So much for a $90,000 vehicle.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey that sucks. you do your own maintenance or dealer maintained ? how often you change oil ?

That build date I think does fall into the known problem range

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for my self and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the issue, the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few times in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my witts end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

Local dealer will only cover $40/day for rental. I bought this truck from a dealer that is about 1.5 hour drive from me. They have been helpfull giving me a Denali for the tranny issue but not sure what to do now. I love the truck but not after going through all of this. i feel this truck is tainted and I want another one. That is going to be my next email to the dealer I bought it from. Even if they repair the lifter, WOULD YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK IS RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THIS?

If I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 12/26/2021 HOW DO I KNOW THE BUILD DATE. THEY REFER TO IT AS A 2022 BUT NOW I AM WIERY ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT THE LIFTER ISSUES WERE IN THE 2021 MODELS. VERY FRUSTRATED!

OP
OP
S

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey that sucks. you do your own maintenance or dealer maintained ? how often you change oil ?

That build date I think does fall into the known problem range
Always dealer maintained and usually around 5000 miles per oil change

OP
OP
S

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on the above lifter issue. They replaced all 8 lifters and the technician took it for a test drive. The same lifter that was replaced failed again. After further evaluation they say it is the cam shaft lobe that is causing the concerns and have ordered parts. While I miss my truck, I have a brand new Suburban to drive around while they sort it out. I am hopeful they can fix it. To be honest, I might start looking for a replacement.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they have the plan in place to fix it. I am assuming theu just went stright to the lifters as it has been the most likely issue, so they are doing their steps. As since the issue still was there they are going to next likely source. They appear to be doing their diligence and didnt give it back before fixing it.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the above lifter issue. They replaced all 8 lifters and the technician took it for a test drive. The same lifter that was replaced failed again. After further evaluation they say it is the cam shaft lobe that is causing the concerns and have ordered parts. While I miss my truck, I have a brand new Suburban to drive around while they sort it out. I am hopeful they can fix it. To be honest, I might start looking for a replacement.
I would try to get them to extend warranty on vehicle since your around 25000 miles

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always dealer maintained and usually around 5000 miles per oil change

Change it early and often. Every 3k instead of the 5k. Also consider adding an oil catch can to keep the intact tract clean. If its in for a cam, see if they can install a DOD/AFM delete cam. BTR and a few others make a DOD delete cam shaft and lifters kit without any of the performance upgrades that eliminate the potential for future lifter issues.

Yukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Similar issues with my 21 Yukon Denali. POS in my opinion. Lost all power and was drug onto a flat bed tow truck at 16,000. They replaced some kind of nut on the battery connection. Took it to the east coast from Michigan to Connecticut and broke down again. This time all the warnings went off like yours and all the dealership in Connecticut did was charge the battery to get me home. Said don’t shut the vehicle off until you get to your driveway. 1700 miles later we made it and another repair to the electrical system. I have an open lemon law case on it as of now and gmc is talking settlement numbers. They unfortunately won’t replace it or buy it back. Worst $86,500 I’ve ever spent and they denied me a gmc supplier discount which I had. Hopefully will get a descent number out of gmc. Keep your records in case you need to utilize the lemon law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17