Collision Detection System Locked my Brakes up on freeway at 65!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryingram4

Reaction score
Crazy story. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??

I was Driving on the freeway today at 65 mph and in a matter of seconds the following all happened: As I was holding steady normal pressure on the gas pedal to maintain the speed limit of 65mph I noticed the truck began to slow down and felt like it was dragging something or the brakes were being applied, but of course I was not applying brakes. I continued to apply more throttle pressure not understanding what was happening & in a matter of 2-3 seconds I had the pedal pressed to the floor with the 6.2 screaming at 4500rpm trying to keep the vehicle moving at barely 55mph, keep in mind at this point it feels like someone is standing on the brake pedal slamming on the brakes with full force. I then reached down and pulled the brake pedal backwards and up thinking it was stuck, it was not of course. Now I smell burning brakes & at this point immediately realize I have some sort of catastrophic brake failure and need to get off the freeway asap. Then 3 codes popped up on the display and the Stabiltrac Symbol lite up and the Traction Control symbol lite up, the display said “Service Stabiltrac” “Service Trailer Brake” & “Collision detection system unavailable”. It has only been maybe 25-30 seconds and I safely pull off the freeway onto the shoulder. I got out and all 4 brakes were smoking.
I quickly was towed to my local shop and could not figure out what was wrong. The codes were gone and the brakes were no longer locked up. We used a digital thermal reader and the brakes were 250°-325° and the actual wheels were 150°. This was 30 mins after the actual lockup.
So I decide to try and drive home and see what would happen. I made it maybe 1/4 mile and the codes all lite up and brakes were being applied without me pushing. Fully locking up and I had to press the gas hard to get out of danger.
Now let me back up 12 hrs prior to this. I had just picked up the Yukon up from the collision repair center where I had just had a new bumper installed from a minor accident. What are the chances the collision detection system was damaged and caused the computer to apply full brakes while on freeway at 65!!! It was towed to the local GMC dealer and will go under the knife 1st thing in the morning. The repair center is already aware of their possible major mistake. Has anyone ever heard of this?? And to add to the crazy story today, I got a letter today saying their is a possible issue and recall on the brake system, which has been discussed on a previous thread.
I will update what the dealer finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be internal trouble codes and a snapshot taken and stored when the code(s) set which should shed light on why it happened.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was Driving on the freeway today at 65 mph and in a matter of seconds the following all happened: As I was holding steady normal pressure on the gas pedal to maintain the speed limit of 65mph I noticed the truck began to slow down and felt like it was dragging something or the brakes were being applied, but of course I was not applying brakes. I continued to apply more throttle pressure not understanding what was happening & in a matter of 2-3 seconds I had the pedal pressed to the floor with the 6.2 screaming at 4500rpm trying to keep the vehicle moving at barely 55mph, keep in mind at this point it feels like someone is standing on the brake pedal slamming on the brakes with full force. I then reached down and pulled the brake pedal backwards and up thinking it was stuck, it was not of course. Now I smell burning brakes & at this point immediately realize I have some sort of catastrophic brake failure and need to get off the freeway asap. Then 3 codes popped up on the display and the Stabiltrac Symbol lite up and the Traction Control symbol lite up, the display said “Service Stabiltrac” “Service Trailer Brake” & “Collision detection system unavailable”. It has only been maybe 25-30 seconds and I safely pull off the freeway onto the shoulder. I got out and all 4 brakes were smoking.
I quickly was towed to my local shop and could not figure out what was wrong. The codes were gone and the brakes were no longer locked up. We used a digital thermal reader and the brakes were 250°-325° and the actual wheels were 150°. This was 30 mins after the actual lockup.
So I decide to try and drive home and see what would happen. I made it maybe 1/4 mile and the codes all lite up and brakes were being applied without me pushing. Fully locking up and I had to press the gas hard to get out of danger.
Now let me back up 12 hrs prior to this. I had just picked up the Yukon up from the collision repair center where I had just had a new bumper installed from a minor accident. What are the chances the collision detection system was damaged and caused the computer to apply full brakes while on freeway at 65!!! It was towed to the local GMC dealer and will go under the knife 1st thing in the morning. The repair center is already aware of their possible major mistake. Has anyone ever heard of this?? And to add to the crazy story today, I got a letter today saying their is a possible issue and recall on the brake system, which has been discussed on a previous thread.

Never, I put 69 k miles on my 2015 Denali and already have 23 k on my 18 Denali and never face any type of crazy problem like that.
Maybe something wrong with the system or the radar.
In the dealer, they will see the codes, good luck my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SoonerRed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did you ever get any resolution?

Having the same warning messages on the display on our 2019 Yukon Denali. We see the "Collision Detection System Unavailable" most often... bumper sensors and windshield are clean. It has about 19k miles on it currently. The warning messages are intermittent over the last 6 months or so, and haven't noticed any hot brake smell or had the brakes lock up (yet). This is our second Yukon Denali... had to dump the 2015 after continuous multiple issues - transmission, a/c compressor, electrical, etc. Really getting frustrated with our "professional grade" truck. Yes, we did go in for a second truck after dumping the first, but it was because the dealer was a stand up guy and made it worth it for us.

Asked about the messages at our last oil change at the dealership. They said "all is well" and reset the collision warning system and the preferences on how we use it... I'm not convinced.

Anyone seeing similar intermittent warnings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos