4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the spoke design has more to do with whether the caliper will clear than anything. That's why I advocated making a template that outlines the cross-section of the caliper relative to the wheel hub. This could be held against the back of any wheel to check clearance.

I wish I had the skills to do a good template but I really don't. My spare is getting sent off today but when hes done just send him $20 to get the test caliper and then charge the next guy the same.

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is there a definitive washer size we use here? Anybody got a link? Thanks

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used two 1/2 inch inside diameter washers.
Home depot sells them. I got some hardened ones at another place.

I had to trim the washers on the top of drivers side spindle to get it to seat flat.
My spindles were a bit different I don't know why.
With two washers the passenger side lined up perfectly over the rotor.
The driver's side was a few hairs off, so I thinned one washer top and bottom, with a grinder to attain a near perfect offset....(probably overkill)

Washertrim.jpg

Other than that everything bolted together fine.
I really like the caliper assembly.
I like how GM put that coating on the back of the pads to help adhere to the pistons....maybe some harmonic benefit too.
I really like how the retainer goes in, keeps tension on the pins and spreads the pads
I like how the cotter pins for the caliper pins are pre-bent and install easily by hand.
I like how the pads fit over the rotors....very precise.
Overall, a thoughtfully engineered assembly.

Mine are installed.
They function much better than the other brakes....like "orders of magnitude" better.
Haven't done any high speed testing yet, as I got busy with other things.

I'll test more over the weekend and next week....and report back.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had to trim the washers on the top of drivers side spindle to get it to seat flat.
The driver's side was a few hairs off, so I thinned one washer top and bottom, with a grinder to attain a near perfect offset....(probably overkill)

View attachment 278053

I like how GM put that coating on the back of the pads to help adhere to the pistons....maybe some harmonic benefit too.
I really like how the retainer goes in, keeps tension on the pins and spreads the pads
I like how the cotter pins for the caliper pins are pre-bent and install easily by hand.

Mine are installed.
They function much better than the other brakes....like "orders of magnitude" better.

Glad to know it feels considerably better! I think I will do some before and after controlled testing, I did years back for the NNBS swap so might as well for this one too.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are installed.

Outstanding! Let us know how they do with multiple stops, and how it changes pedal effort and stroke. TIA.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm fairly new to this site. I'm not supposed to be the test monkey.
That's usually reserved for those with greater Hoe-perience.
But.....

I actually bled the brakes again today to make sure I had all the air out of the football sized calipers.
I didn't find any more air, its just something I do, like re-torqueing lug nuts.

Then I tested the "Super Calipers" again today and I have to say I LOVE them!
You can't beat it for the money and I'm very happy with the result so far.

I didn't lay out my success criteria but I'll give you two that I always use.
1. Length of pedal push to substantial brake engagement.
2. Length of braking zone-stopping distance.

On 1., The length of pedal push is about an inch (eyeball). That's comparable to my 19 suburban with vacuum/booster 6P caliper brakes.
My 18 Colorado which has very good brakes and the smallest booster I've ever seen is about a 1/2 inch. Compared to the old 2P Tahoe brakes the pedal push
is MUCH improved. Multiple stops from 60 did not change the pedal push length. It got shorter as I would expect as the pads and rotors heated up.
Cold should be the worst. Warm should be best. And overheated should fade. I'm not running high temp fluid like a Motul 600....More like Orielly's Synthetic Dot3.

On 2. Coming up to a familiar stop sign at around 50mph, I would say my braking zone was CUT IN HALF, which I'm am very pleased about.
I need to do the freeway following test. On the previous calipers I would have to give at least 6-7 car lengths at 70mph to safely stop to the car in front of me .
(I know that's what the CA DMV rule is). But that just lends itself to be cutoff left and right and I hate that. I don't tailgate people like I'm driving Nascar but braking power
commands respect! As opposed to braking weakness which leaves me no choice but to leave lots of space and be dominated by dorks.

On cost I have about $650 into it.
$500 in GM parts, $70 in SS lines, $50 in machining, $10 in fluid and $20 in paint.
$100 of the GM part cost was shipping, rotors and calipers are heavy!

The key item here to remember it that the GM Super Caliper has approx. 20% more pad area than the Wilwood 6P caliper with the 16" rotor.
So pad area per dollar is about a 25% of the cost of the next leg up braking system (166 vs 43). That's why I call it the Super Caliper.
It has more pad area than any 6P caliper on the market at 25% of the cost....minimum, and that's pretty super.
I've had big wilwoods on a Tahoe and I'm not sure they stop better than these do.

Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm fairly new to this site. I'm not supposed to be the test monkey.
That's usually reserved for those with greater Hoe-perience.
But.....

I actually bled the brakes again today to make sure I had all the air out of the football sized calipers.
I didn't find any more air, its just something I do, like re-torqueing lug nuts.

Then I tested the "Super Calipers" again today and I have to say I LOVE them!
You can't beat it for the money and I'm very happy with the result so far.

I didn't lay out my success criteria but I'll give you two that I always use.
1. Length of pedal push to substantial brake engagement.
2. Length of braking zone-stopping distance.

On 1., The length of pedal push is about an inch (eyeball). That's comparable to my 19 suburban with vacuum/booster 6P caliper brakes.
My 18 Colorado which has very good brakes and the smallest booster I've ever seen is about a 1/2 inch. Compared to the old 2P Tahoe brakes the pedal push
is MUCH improved. Multiple stops from 60 did not change the pedal push length. It got shorter as I would expect as the pads and rotors heated up.
Cold should be the worst. Warm should be best. And overheated should fade. I'm not running high temp fluid like a Motul 600....More like Orielly's Synthetic Dot3.

On 2. Coming up to a familiar stop sign at around 50mph, I would say my braking zone was CUT IN HALF, which I'm am very pleased about.
I need to do the freeway following test. On the previous calipers I would have to give at least 6-7 car lengths at 70mph to safely stop to the car in front of me .
(I know that's what the CA DMV rule is). But that just lends itself to be cutoff left and right and I hate that. I don't tailgate people like I'm driving Nascar but braking power
commands respect! As opposed to braking weakness which leaves me no choice but to leave lots of space and be dominated by dorks.

On cost I have about $650 into it.
$500 in GM parts, $70 in SS lines, $50 in machining, $10 in fluid and $20 in paint.
$100 of the GM part cost was shipping, rotors and calipers are heavy!

The key item here to remember it that the GM Super Caliper has approx. 20% more pad area than the Wilwood 6P caliper with the 16" rotor.
So pad area per dollar is about a 25% of the cost of the next leg up braking system (166 vs 43). That's why I call it the Super Caliper.
It has more pad area than any 6P caliper on the market at 25% of the cost....minimum, and that's pretty super.
I've had big wilwoods on a Tahoe and I'm not sure they stop better than these do.
Did you have the stock calipers and rotors or the upgraded 07-14 calipers and rotors on yours before you went to this.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had stock calipers and rotors on an 03. Had fairly new high friction pads and the brakes still sucked.

Just a note: If you don't feel comfortable with non-standard solutions, like where you have to get washers (huh?) for spacers and
potentially trim washers to fit spindles or shave them to center the caliper over the rotor.....,
Then this upgrade isn't for you.

I'm just restoring an 18 year old Tahoe (which is vintage class) partly in protest of not wanting to paying $85K for a new one. So I'm trying to get as close to the
performance of a new one as possible and still stay within my budget. This brake upgrade is very comparable in cost to replacing with stock level
stop tech calipers, rotors and pads.

I don't know what the 07-14 brake upgrade is. Is that simply bolt on?
I've had an 08 and a 12 Tahoe. Still an ugly 2P caliper and braking performance was nothing to love.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 278053

Mine are installed.

Wilwood includes shims with their kits that consist of super thin and thin washers, never mic’d them but they are a fraction of the thickness of a regular washer, there’s a bunch in every kit. I’m having a hard time believing just one random washer from the hardware store is centering these perfectly. Maybe a set of shims can be purchased in order to get these perfect. It’s important on calipers that don’t use slide pins to center them perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK