4.56 Gears Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gears are a great upgrade on these heavier vehicles. Wish they offered more options from the factory. Debating on changing mine on the Nali after we did new gears on the Blazer (4.56).

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
I would recommend it. I can't give you real numbers other than I can feel the difference when I press the gas. I am having to relearn my gas peddle because I find myself going faster than I should cause it much quicker and it's feels much lighter. I know it doesn't make sense but I've been driving my Tahoe since nov '06, and I can tell difference from then and now.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't make sense but I've been driving my Tahoe since nov '06, and I can tell difference from then and now.

Oh I believe it. Back then I test drove the 4.10 (which I bought) versus the higher geared ones and there was enough of a difference.

I know off topic, but how do you like the rear Rancho 9000XLs? I am close to needing new shocks and I am looking at the Rancho 9000XL, Rancho RS7000MT, and Bilstein 5100s.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
They are ok, I'd prefer something more heavy duty such as king shocks.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Trying to talk Justin into king for his silverado.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
Last time I checked I was going to pay about $2500 for fronts and rears (king shocks), a little too much for me. But if I hit the power ball I might go for it, lol.

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.56 is a great choice. I also regeared mine to a 4.56 and from the stock 3.08, the difference is huge. My fuel economy actually went up when going from stock to 4.56, I now get nearly 20mpg on long highway drives, and an easy mid 16 around town.

How much that run ya. I might be looking to do the same.

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much that run ya. I might be looking to do the same.

I was right at $1200 parts and labor for the gears. Got my gears through G2 axle and had them installed at my local Chevrolet dealer. The driveline guy there is top notch so I trust him. I would recommend having someone do them that has does them on a regualr basis, such as a 4x4 shop.

Which brand of gears you buy do make a difference. Some make more noise than others. I found that Yukons make the least noise, and Superior make plenty of noise. I have Yukons in mine and there is still a slight 'whine" at speeds, but nothing that is overwhelming. If I have the radio off, and its a perfectly smooth surface, I might be able to pick it up. I had Superior gears in my Super Duty, and could hear them almost all the time, I swapped them out with Yukons less than 6 months later.

The noise is just part of the gear metals being different from the factory stuff. And with an SUV's enclosed cab, the noise will sometimes echo.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Why don't you just get OEM gears?
If you're getting something they offer like 3.73s or 4.10s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn