3.5" borla yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the s type on my Escalade with the Volant intake and Diablo sport custom tune.
Thank you for getting back to me, I also have a k&N intake and a custom Blackbeard tune already installed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryan6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the 6.2, why is the Borla and Corsa exhaust systems 3” when the stock exhaust is 3.5”?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have to make more than 600 horsepower to utilize a 3.5" exhaust.

Though this may be the case, then why would GM put a 3.5” exhaust on a truck producing 420 HP? Though there are many more 3” exhaust options than 3.5”, it just seems odd to install a smaller exhaust pipe than stock diameter?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe to offer better sound-deadening? Maybe a more restrictive muffler is not so restrictive with 3.5" tubes and still provides for a quiet cabin? In our race cars we kept the noise down by putting the muffler behind the axle and out from underneath the passenger compartment. Tough to do with these trucks.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 6.2, why is the Borla and Corsa exhaust systems 3” when the stock exhaust is 3.5”?

Though this may be the case, then why would GM put a 3.5” exhaust on a truck producing 420 HP? Though there are many more 3” exhaust options than 3.5”, it just seems odd to install a smaller exhaust pipe than stock diameter?

honestly any exhaust put on by manufacturer is not really what they claim it at...due to the bends. (crink, smashing & otherwise to get it to fit.)

so really a 3" mandrel bent aftermarket exhaust would flow same or better than a OEM 3.5 one
OEM is exhaust is only as good as the smallest bend.

plus what was said about HP above.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put on the GM option Borla today and immediately noticed a difference in throttle response and engine "smoothness". It's dual 2.5" pipes out of the muffler and a 3" into it..

Two 2.5" pipes = 9.82 sq in and one 3.5" pipe = 9.62 sq in of flow area

I think this GM Borla system and muffler may actually be single 3” inlet to dual 2.25” outlet.

Borla’s S-Type catback for ‘15+ Denali/Escalade is single 3” inlet to dual 2.25” outlet and I wouldn’t see them changing pipe diameters from system to system. I’m pretty sure the only variance is muffler (sound level) and the GM system has the added baffles like OEM exhaust.

Maybe to offer better sound-deadening? Maybe a more restrictive muffler is not so restrictive with 3.5" tubes and still provides for a quiet cabin?

honestly any exhaust put on by manufacturer is not really what they claim it at...due to the bends. (crink, smashing & otherwise to get it to fit.)

so really a 3" mandrel bent aftermarket exhaust would flow same or better than a OEM 3.5 one
OEM is exhaust is only as good as the smallest bend.

plus what was said about HP above.

I completely agree with this info, stock exhausts are not mandrel bent which is a huge factor when maintaining pipe diameter throughout a system.

Maybe GM chose a 3.5” OEM system in the 6.2’s because the system is not mandrel bent, because of that some bends and crimped areas would still be at least 3”?

I don’t mind just welding in a muffler, but I think the Magnaflow mufflers are a bit too quiet. On the fence on the Borla tone/sound. Contemplating picking up a lightly used 3.5” Corsa system for the Sierra/Silverado. But I really like the sound and tone of the SLP exhaust. They have a 3” mandrel bent system for the Sierra/Silverado that I’m sure could be fit onto the Yukon XL.

Had an SLP system with Kooks LT’s on my TBSS and loved it. Decisions decisions...

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the Borla and droning if that is a concern.
It has been discussed in here several times.
Corsa is still the way to go imo, if willing to spend the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan