2wd vs. 4wd - 2021 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to address the wife factor. It’s been raised in this thread that 4WD offers an advantage to ones wife. Offering her an edge in marginal situations.

I’ve deliberated this question for a very long time. My conclusion is that it’s not truly a clear cut advantage.

I base this on my long-suffering wife of 31+ years. She’s everything that I’m not. And often vice-versa. That is to say she knows almost nothing about automotive engineering. That is my contribution to the marriage. She knows how to turn the key and go. Not much more beyond that.

1) Driving in 4-Hi or 4-Lo on paved roads is destructive to the front driveline. You can only operate the vehicle consistently in Auto or 2WD modes. The switch can be easily bumped and accidentally engage one of these settings. Or she could intentionally engage them but not understand their consequences.

My wife could care less. She’d drive it until it drops. Then blame me. LOL

Would she even have the presence of mind to engage 4WD if she found herself ‘in the rhubarb’? And even then to turn it off once out?

Odds are my wife wouldn’t.

2) The 4WD driveline is 200 pounds heavier than the 2WD. This weight is born by the front axle. This increased mass generates longer stopping distances. On dry pavement probably only an extra yard or so. But on slippery roads you can expect it to be two or three times that.

10 feet in a winter panic stop is a huge difference in my books. I’d rather give my wife the 2WD advantage of a shorter stop in bad weather than the 4WD advantage of an easier take off.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks @Holy Roller and @Stbentoak appreciate the insights. Essentially what i think we knew it all comes down to is comfortability and preference. I don't have a boat (don't plan on really getting one for some time, and maybe by then i'll upgrade to the 4wd), I'm not going over any sort of terrain, no big equipment. The only use case i could see is what you all have mentioned about midwest weather can change rapidly (hear ya @Stbentoak) and peace of mind with the wife and kids driving.

"False sense of security: It is easy to be lured by an automaker's advertising and think that having AWD means you can drive in the snow or rain as easily as you would in dry conditions. But the truth is that AWD and 4WD help only with acceleration and traction. Braking distances and handling will be the same as with a 2WD vehicle."

Another article from consumer reports addressing whether AWD is safer (paragraph at the bottom) - https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/2wd-awd-or-4wd-how-much-traction-do-you-need/index.htm

"Drivers are often fooled when driving in slippery conditions with an AWD or 4WD vehicle, not realizing how slippery conditions may be when driving, only to discover they are going way too fast when trying to stop. Because the added traction of 4WD can allow a vehicle to accelerate more quickly in slippery conditions, drivers need to be more vigilant, not less. Slippery conditions demand extra caution, no matter what you drive."

It's old news that 4wd doesn't help one Iota in braking and stopping. You need to be driving to conditions ... BUT if someone stops short on you in icy conditions your only option may be hit them or snowbank. 4wd you most likely get out, change your shorts, and move on. 2wd just not likely. In Jan and Feb in northern IN, you see vehicles off the road almost daily especially if you are out on rural county roads....

I’d like to address the wife factor. It’s been raised in this thread that 4WD offers an advantage to ones wife. Offering her an edge in marginal situations.

I’ve deliberated this question for a very long time. My conclusion is that it’s not truly a clear cut advantage.

I base this on my long-suffering wife of 31+ years. She’s everything that I’m not. And often vice-versa. That is to say she knows almost nothing about automotive engineering. That is my contribution to the marriage. She knows how to turn the key and go. Not much more beyond that.

1) Driving in 4-Hi or 4-Lo on paved roads is destructive to the front driveline. You can only operate the vehicle consistently in Auto or 2WD modes. The switch can be easily bumped and accidentally engage one of these settings. Or she could intentionally engage them but not understand their consequences.

My wife could care less. She’d drive it until it drops. Then blame me. LOL

Would she even have the presence of mind to engage 4WD if she found herself ‘in the rhubarb’ - and then to turn it off, once out?

Odds are my wife wouldn’t.

2) The 4WD driveline is 200 pounds heavier than the 2WD. This weight is born by the front axle. This increased mass generates longer stopping distances. On dry pavement probably only an extra yard or so. But on slippery roads you can expect that to be two or three times that.

10 feet in a winter panic stop is a huge difference in my books. I’d rather give my wife the 2WD advantage of a shorter stop in bad weather than the 4WD advantage of an easier take off.

That's why my wife is in an AWD Jag F Pace Diesel with Blizzaks. Winter tires make a HUGE difference in both traction and BRAKING. Those tires by far mitigate any extra driveline weight and drop stopping distances dramatically. Every vehicle in winter should have winter tires 2wd or 4wd... Zero concerns about shifting in and out of 4wd etc with this vehicle because you can't. Makes decisions for her in the blink of an eye. She wouldn't fare well driving my 4wd 2500 RAM, but she has no need to. She drives 300 miles round trip to my daughters twice a month in any weather. I have zero vehicle worries with her no matter what she encounters and she feels safe and as a bonus, gets 40 MPG on the highway.
You wife "Could" make these mistakes, but in a proper vehicle, those possibilities are eliminated...

Biggest takeaway? Tires matter....

STiGuy07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All comments here are quite valid. 4x4 is one of those things that you have in your back pocket or waist band and, even if you use it once or twice a year, you'd be happy you had it. I personally don't like the 'what ifs' floating around in my head.

Whether you're helping a friend get unstuck, backing a boat into water or even driving on sand to go camping, I'd put it in 4x4 to prevent issues.

As for selling it in the future, you can advertise nationwide nowadays so people will come get it from wherever they are; 4x4 will definitely attract more LIKES.

Happy purchasing!

~Forum Newb

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had snow for a change this year and our daily hikes in the forest would not have happened without 4wd. First off, the plows don't consider the parking spots in the forest and we need to ram through the plowed snow pile at the edge of the woods road. Then after we get it tamped down, the snow is still deep enough that there is no way to park without 4wd. This is not considered "off roading" to us. Also, we like beach driving and that absolutely needs 4wd. Finally, around here, I think the resale value would be greatly hurt without 4wd on such a vehicle.​

Blk 09 LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you’ve done a great job evaluating your needs and driving conditions, and the opinions by everyone here. I’ve had all different drive trains here in Wisconsin...front, rear, awd, 4wd...and it really depends on the conditions. I’m a skier and use to venture into snow frequently, thus I switched from front to awd and 4wd vehicles at that point. Now I don’t go in the snow quite as much, and tow a 23’ camper in mostly summer conditions. I have an 09 Tahoe with 4wd because that’s what it had when I bought it used. But I seldom use the 4wd, maybe once or twice a winter, and then mostly as reassurance. My brother in law drove a rear drive Durango here for years and did just fine. My opinion is you’ll be fine with rear drive under the conditions you describe.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the additional weight of a 4WD compared to a RWD - and it was 247 pounds for MY2020. 181.9 over the front axle and 65.1 over the rear.

For MY2021 the only weight difference I can find is 188 pounds. But I find that number a little low considering the weight for the previous generation. Hard to believe they suddenly found a way to shave 59 pounds out of something they’ve been building for almost a half century.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the additional weight of a 4WD compared to a RWD - and it was 247 pounds for MY2020. 181.9 over the front axle and 65.1 over the rear.

For MY2021 the only weight difference I can find is 188 pounds. But I find that number a little low considering the weight for the previous generation. Hard to believe they suddenly found a way to shave 59 pounds out of something they’ve been building for almost a half century.

They got rid of that big cast Iron rear end with the new suspension, that would do it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645