2wd vs. 4wd - 2021 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Newby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate all the comments on this thread. truly beneficial getting insider info on this topic from those with much more experience on the matter...this is not information you can really gather from articles but have to come from first-hand experience like what you all have described.

Since i am going to be building the 2021 Yukon, i'll be able to make it just how i want it so i am going to go with the 2wd...maybe resale will be better because i'll have one of the few 2wd Yukons on the road :) - a rarity!

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the comments on this thread. truly beneficial getting insider info on this topic from those with much more experience on the matter...this is not information you can really gather from articles but have to come from first-hand experience like what you all have described.

Since i am going to be building the 2021 Yukon, i'll be able to make it just how i want it so i am going to go with the 2wd...maybe resale will be better because i'll have one of the few 2wd Yukons on the road :) - a rarity!

Sounds like you are making the right choice for you. I made that same choice and bought a 2017 2wd Suburban. A rarity in the northeast. NJ is getting its 3rd snowstorm this year. I don't expect any issues as I was fine on the roads with the last 2. The traction control does a decent job of keeping you moving, even on an incline from a stop. I just hope I have a chance to do some drifting in a parking with the next storm!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are making the right choice for you. I made that same choice and bought a 2017 2wd Suburban. A rarity in the northeast. NJ is getting its 3rd snowstorm this year. I don't expect any issues as I was fine on the roads with the last 2. The traction control does a decent job of keeping you moving, even on an incline from a stop. I just hope I have a chance to do some drifting in a parking with the next storm!

Suburbans are beasts in the snow even with just the 2WD. My old 90' R1500 Burb kicked ass in some wicked storms here with the posi rear and some Wranglers. :)

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in sw Michigan, and honestly rarely NEED 4wd for on road driving even pulling a trailer in the snow.

now I know I an am exception as most around me will be locking in and I just slide on out in 2wd ( literally.) something I have noticed is that the suv's that tend to have more weight over the rear (compared to an empty pickup bed) tend to have a little easier time in snowy weather.

if I had the choice I would buy a 4wd, but that is for me and my situations. again pulling a trailer and maneuvering in driveways and such I have plenty of times needed the 4wd to get me through. but with that said I don't find it necessary enough in the 90% of situations to let it stop me from buying my 2500 burb that is 2wd when the great deal fell to me. now I don't drive it a lot but that is more to preserve it from the salt and the mileage of the 8.1. but the wifes denali I having some issues currently ( but she can outdrive most as well as I can, and with snow tires it is a beast that we can drive almost without thinking ( as we are well above the norm)). and soon she is headed a couple hours away and I will be letting her take my Tahoe for that trip and will not hesitate to jump in the burb and be have no worries if I will make it to work just because how many wheels are driving me.

(small disclaimer that we do have dedicated snow tires on all three trucks also, just because it makes life a little easier.)

ang2bmd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Grateful for my 4wd today in Indiana. The job i work came require going out in all conditions so even though I don't need it often its necessary. I felt very secure in my driving today

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the right choice for you. I doubt you will see better resale, in fact, I doubt resale will be as good on the 2WD. The problem is most people don't do the analysis you just did, they just want 4WD, like me. :)

You will be fine with 2WD.

Coobie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet and @Tonyv__ thanks. i'm in central IN so extremely flat, rain nothing like west coast, snow mild for the most part and not near Lake Michigan so don't get the lake effect snow. Sounds like it is more of a comfort thing as i do have the kids and wife would probably drive it too.

The hard part about this situation is i've read and feel that you should never buy something extra if it MIGHT happen say 10% of the time. you get something that will apply to what the situation will be 90% of the time. Will we get the occasional snow or maybe a drive to Chicago where we encounter some snow. maybe once or twice a year.

Decisions decisions!
RESALE would be a BIGGY..Do you tow at all? Ever try hooking up to a trailer in wet grass with 2 wheel drive?

Kiel9x19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new to the GMC and yukon game. Taking the leap to the 2021 yukon - looking at the SLT.

i live in the midwest so won't be doing any off-roading, weather is fair, no mountains, etc.

What am i missing as to why i should get a 4wd 2021 yukon vs. a 2wd? EVERYTHING in GMC inventory is 4wd - you can't find a 2wd out there and i dont think the extra $3000+ for the 4wd PLUS extra fuel cost is worth it.

Want to make sure i am not missing anything before i click purchase on the 2wd.

thanks everyone
Four-wheel-drive is great. On the 2021s you can select 2 Wheel Dr. I keep mines on 2 Wheel Dr. 95% of the time. However when we get some heavy rain or I drive up to the snow it’s great to use the 4 x 4 option as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu