2wd red light HELP HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luis Da Champ

Reaction score
ok so i drove to work while raining,light rain nothing crazy.I get out of work get in my truck and i soon as i start the truck i notice that the yelllow light on the 2wd has gone red between the 2wd and high 4wd.I looked around on my phone to see if i can find some answers and i read on a few different forums that it might be some type of sensor or/and some wiring on the transfer case.To make a long story short i played around with the buttons and nothing would happend it will blink yellow on any button that i will press to switch the truck to 2wd onto 4wd.I put the truck in drive and it drove home fine as if the transmission was in 2wd like earlier.Is was late into the night so i didnt wanna call my dad who is a mechanic and is away in florida on vacation.Does any one have a clue what this could be i just picked up the truck on monday and it has a 90 day warranty.Please if any one know what this could be or has a clue let me know.

thank you

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

btw i have no engine check light on just the little red light between the high 2wd and high 4wd which ussually is yellow on the high 2wd.

OP
OP
Luis Da Champ

Luis Da Champ

Reaction score
Not sure, but take a look at this, maybe it will lead you to something to help you diagnose. I don't like just replacing parts.
I have read posts like this a few times, not saying it is or isn't a common problem.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26668

Good Luck!
Ok I hope is just the switch, I'm going to hook up the scanner right now I will post back soon.

Thank you for the help stay tune

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Ok I just hooked the scanner to the truck and there are no codes also the the red light when back to yellow on the high 2wd so is safe to say is the switch

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the red light you are talking about is the neutral light, since that's what mine is. One thing to try. If the light goes red, and when you push the 2wd or 4wd buttons, and all they do is blink yellow, stop the truck, and put the drive in neutral, then try the buttons. Mine would go back to 2wd and stay there when I did that.

Here's what mine has done a couple times now. I would look down, and notice the red light for neutral was on. Everything would drive fine. Try to push the 2wd button, just yellow blinks. Put truck in neutral, will go back to 2wd just fine. I just tried the switch resoldering tip to see if that helps. When the light goes to red, the transfer case can't really be in neutral, otherwise it wouldn't drive, so I'm not sure if it's a switch, or the encoder motor. Hoping it's the switch!

OP
OP
Luis Da Champ

Luis Da Champ

Reaction score
I'm assuming the red light you are talking about is the neutral light, since that's what mine is. One thing to try. If the light goes red, and when you push the 2wd or 4wd buttons, and all they do is blink yellow, stop the truck, and put the drive in neutral, then try the buttons. Mine would go back to 2wd and stay there when I did that.

Here's what mine has done a couple times now. I would look down, and notice the red light for neutral was on. Everything would drive fine. Try to push the 2wd button, just yellow blinks. Put truck in neutral, will go back to 2wd just fine. I just tried the switch resoldering tip to see if that helps. When the light goes to red, the transfer case can't really be in neutral, otherwise it wouldn't drive, so I'm not sure if it's a switch, or the encoder motor. Hoping it's the switch!

im gonna see if the red light comes back again so i can try this, im going to the dealer tomorow hopefully they can take care of it right there.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - simply try unplugging the switch and plugging it back in.. Mine did this 6 months ago.. I did this - and no issues since.

dhaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you guys tried READING THE OWNERS MANUAL?? The red light means the transfer case is in neutral (which can happen if you press a 2WD and 4WD button or various other combinations simultaneously) and that the vehicle can roll even if the shift selector is in Park. To turn the red light off, shift into Neutral and select a 2 or 4WD mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j