2wd and 4wd Hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dantheman1540 @drakon543 I think at the very least it is safe to say that it depends on HUB, it seems the ones that use the roll-formed bearing method are better built than the other ones that seem to fall off after a couple of feet..

Of course, it depends on the hub and I can't speak for any roll-formed bearing style hub but, if its a Timken product its easy enough to call and ask as I did.

Also, it's been many months and over 5k trouble-free miles with both hubs being SP500300 (AKA 4x4 hubs on a 2wd) so I will continue to recommend them.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of mine came with 4wd hubs from the factory. Replaced with like Timken pieces recently.

View attachment 276520 View attachment 276521

That seems odd they came like that from the factory. Are you sure they arent a replacement part? Timken told me they often send only the 4wd roll-formed bearings to fleets so they don't have to worry about having two different part numbers.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dantheman1540 @drakon543 I think at the very least it is safe to say that it depends on HUB, it seems the ones that use the roll-formed bearing method are better built than the other ones that seem to fall off after a couple of feet..
i think as i mentioned previously in this thread about this and mentioned getting that information from the mfg isnt always easy. better name brand hubs like timken im sure they would happily give you that information. lesser brands wont or will insist to know why you need the information. if you tell them anything that differs from its list model fitment they will straight shoot you down to deny any plausibility to a failure.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dantheman1540 Moogs website has a nice cross section of a hub showing that the core is a single piece and they state they use roll formed bearings. Looks good. View attachment 276522

That's a cool cross-section pic, I like Moog products and used them for some steering arms. Just gotta make sure you get their premium grade and not their economy grade replacement parts.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems odd they came like that from the factory. Are you sure they arent a replacement part? Timken told me they often send only the 4wd roll-formed bearings to fleets so they don't have to worry about having two different part numbers.
Not odd at all, they’re both PPVs. They even had the heat Sheilds still in place on the wheel sensor cables.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not odd at all, they’re both PPVs. They even had the heat Sheilds still in place on the wheel sensor cables.

I don't know much about the PPVs I just figured they would still come from the factory with a 2wd hub if it's a 2wd. Although like Timken told me the 4x4 hubs have a slightly higher load rating which would make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts