24mm Ball Joint Separator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beat the **** out of my knuckle, because every video acted like it was so simple. Beat em stupid and then couldn't get the brake line bolt to thread back in. Gah.

Finally used a pickle fork with about 6' of pipe slipped over and they popped loose.

Interested if this tool works, because there's gotta be a better way.

OP
OP
tahoe_incompleto

tahoe_incompleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out and take some pics if you can for the fellas that come along after us.

I will for sure. I had to take a trip out of town so unfortunately the tool will collect dust for at least a few weeks before I get to try it. :/

I beat the **** out of my knuckle, because every video acted like it was so simple. Beat em stupid and then couldn't get the brake line bolt to thread back in. Gah.

Finally used a pickle fork with about 6' of pipe slipped over and they popped loose.

Interested if this tool works, because there's gotta be a better way.

Unless I run into some kind of unforseen fitment issue I have no doubt it will work. The smaller version worked great on the uppers, and on several other cars for me. I'll update here once I get a chance to get back under it and try it out.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question? Are you ball joints rusted in?? I literally just did this job last month or so on a 255k mile rig with oem ball joints. Before I started the disassembly I hit the lower ball joints from the top with pe..netratin oil and let it soaked while I worked. Another trick is to not completely remove the top arm to allow the assembly to still move together. This helped me keep the ball joint fairly straight inside the lower control arm as to not get jamed.. a few knocks with my 5# dead blow hammer and it popped loose. I just don't understand why yours won't pop loose easily

mhaywoodcz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did mine last night, soaked in PB Blaster, loosened both lower and upper ball joint nuts. Then used a pickle fork (with a jack under the nut of the lower ball joint) raised the spindle to level vs letting it hang. Drove the fork in with a 5# hammer. Worked way better than letting it hang (no jack). Seemed to allow full use of the fork, no need to booger up the spindle with repeat blows. Hope this helps

Reaction score
I have a US General one that looks just like that picture in the first post. I don't think I've ever used it, but it specs 3/4" (20mm).

When I did mine on the 2011 a few years ago, I used this. Don't know where I got it from though. It measures just over an inch opening, actually 29mm

20211018_170611.jpg

OP
OP
tahoe_incompleto

tahoe_incompleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the same tool, but with no branding. The bolt ends up slipping off the end and butchering up the surface. I'm gonna try and get a replacement and see how that one dView attachment 368179
What I have found to work well with this type of tool is to put a good amount of pressure on it and let it sit a bit. I have had several instances where after a bit of time left in place, it pops on it's own. A little heat and some percussion on the knuckle can work well to help it if needed, but don't go overboard on any of it.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the same tool, but with no branding. The bolt ends up slipping off the end and butchering up the surface. I'm gonna try and get a replacement and see how that one doesView attachment 368179
This is the exact problem I ran into with my separator, although I was using a different one than you. Every time I tighten that bolt, it just slid further and further off.

I ordered the same one that tahoe_incomplete ordered. Hoping I have positive results.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts