22" vs 24" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks the feedback guys. I'm still curious whether anyone has heard of any horror stories related to the use of 24" wheels.

From the responses 22"s are the safe choice, and I'll like refocus my efforts on finding the right looking 22". I'm working on a budget so I can only allocate $1200 in rims and $800 in rubber.

Living near Atlanta I see all types of examples in sizes ranging from 20"-28"...yes 28"...looks interesting as a trailer queen but not for daily use.

One more question, if I don't add new TPMS to the new rims will I have a constant alert on the dash?

it will give you the alert every time you start the truck, the "!" will stay lit. I just bought aftermarket TPMS sensors from summit auto (41 a piece) and called it a day.

OP
OP
HeavyXL

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
24's mounted

Got wheels mounted. Now I'm thinking about lowering to eliminate the wheel well gap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 161

DirtyFeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking very good. Now that you have them mounted what is the size tire you used and do you have any rubbing?

OP
OP
HeavyXL

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking very good. Now that you have them mounted what is the size tire you used and do you have any rubbing?
Thanks. I went with 305/35/24 tires, and yes I do have tire rub when wheels are turned all the way in either direction. Although I must say it is minimal and will likely go away over time. I did end up removing one wheel liner insert on each front wheel well where the tires where rubbing

Aside from that no issues. Ride is stiffer and more responsive. I'm glad I took the expensive plunge and went to 24's.

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
Thanks. I went with 305/35/24 tires, and yes I do have tire rub when wheels are turned all the way in either direction. Although I must say it is minimal and will likely go away over time. I did end up removing one wheel liner insert on each front wheel well where the tires where rubbing

Aside from that no issues. Ride is stiffer and more responsive. I'm glad I took the expensive plunge and went to 24's.

they look good man, do you have any frame rub on the drivers side?

OP
OP
HeavyXL

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No frame rub, just had wheel liner rub when the steering wheel was turned from lock to lock. After a couple weeks driving that has just about disappeared.

I noticed you equipment list shows 7" Galaxy Tab In-Dash. Do you have pictures of that modification? How much if any functionality did you loose? Pretty cool in any case!

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
No frame rub, just had wheel liner rub when the steering wheel was turned from lock to lock. After a couple weeks driving that has just about disappeared.

I noticed you equipment list shows 7" Galaxy Tab In-Dash. Do you have pictures of that modification? How much if any functionality did you loose? Pretty cool in any case!

Gotcha...And yepp heres a link to my build thread! I love it I have it going into a rockford 3sixty.2 sound processor before the 4 channel amp that pushes my mids and highs. I can wirelessly sync the tablet when I pull into my garage, I can tether it instantly using my galaxy s4 and get spotify, pandora, iheart, pretty much anything that uses the internet. Its got a gps radio built in so I have full go navigation Its pretty sweet..

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great man!

just a few helpful hints, avoid pot holes and shit in the road like the plague. i work at a tire shop and almost every single 24"+ wheel i've ever worked on was bent in one place or another. which is what will cause a rough ride

also, tires are not a place to cheap out on. it is the only thing in contact with the road and keeping you from sliding into something/someone. nittos are awesome tires for what they cost. if you have a discount tire near by check them out. they offer a car care one financing card that you can get 9 months zero interest on anything over 1000 and 12 months zero interest on anything over 1500.

and lastly, the TPMS sensors can be swapped between wheels. although they are battery operated and have a life expectancy of about 3000 hours of vehicle use. only problem you could have is some older style wheels are not tpms compatible. which basically means the sensor isn't "hugged" against the wheel and sticks out a lot which can be very easily broken during a tire mounting/de-mounting process. buying replacements and reprogramming them is pretty simple though.

jonfo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 4 Pirelli 295/35/24 in my garage with about 5,000-10,000 (not sure) miles I can give anybody a good deal on. I am in Bellevue, WA, 98008.

Attachments

• WP_20130628_009.jpg
    WP_20130628_009.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 43
  • WP_20130628_010.jpg
    WP_20130628_010.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 45
  • WP_20130628_011.jpg
    WP_20130628_011.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 39
  • WP_20130628_012.jpg
    WP_20130628_012.jpg