22" vs 24" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have read every thread here regarding wheel size upgrades from stock sizes however now that its time for me to make a purchase I'm stumped.

So currently my 2008 YukonXL sits on stock 20's. I enjoy the ride. It's not a daily driver although we do take it on road trips, so I don't want to impact the ride too much.

That being said, I am now out of warranty and feel comfortable moving up in size. I mention warranty because early on after my initial purchase I questioned my service manager about upsizing my wheels and was told moving to anything other than 22" could void my warranty should any problems arise; suspension, drivetrain, etc. the dealership went on to share horror stories of people who upgraded to 24" wheels such as harsh ride, high speed vibrations. Now I took these warnings with a grain of salt but didn't want to jeopardize my factory warranty.

Now I'm less than 50 over 100k and I'm ready, but confused and little nervous. I personally think 24" wheels look best on these trucks, but 22" seem to be the safest choice.

This brings me here to elicit the experience from the collective of owners. So what potential issues could I be facing if I upgrade to 24" wheels? Are there any safe options in the 24" size? I've seen threads where people suggest upgrading the brake system, does stopping distance really change that dramatically? What other parts should be upgraded?

I have a set of 24" I've been eyeing but I'm nervous about pulling the trigger. The rims are MOMO ST1's. Sweet looking rim. In case it's not already apparent I really want 24"s but not at the sacrifice of my truck. My plan to hold onto this truck for a number of years, so I can't jeopardize the longevity for esthetic purposes.

I appreciate any shared experience and advice on the subject.

Thanks in advance guys!

image.jpg

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Going 22 wont be a problem as Gm already offer wheels in 22 so i dont see on how it would void a warranty. I currently run 22 and they feel just the same as when i had 20.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Go 22" if you're worried.
I think 22" ride better than 20 don't feel like there's a balloon supporting me

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wrong with balloons?

Everyone loves balloons.

Also they can move a house like in UP.

Lol

Jk Josh

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 22" oem ride better than the 20's did with the same brand tire.

metalmaniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same dilemma. I chose 22s for ride quality and have been very pleased. I was afraid ride quality would suffer on 24s .

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MPG will suffer. I went from 17s to 20s and lost like 2-3.

The actual weight of the wheel has a lot to do with it too.

Rotational mass has a ratio of like 1.5

OP
OP
HeavyXL

HeavyXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks the feedback guys. I'm still curious whether anyone has heard of any horror stories related to the use of 24" wheels.

From the responses 22"s are the safe choice, and I'll like refocus my efforts on finding the right looking 22". I'm working on a budget so I can only allocate $1200 in rims and $800 in rubber.

Living near Atlanta I see all types of examples in sizes ranging from 20"-28"...yes 28"...looks interesting as a trailer queen but not for daily use.

One more question, if I don't add new TPMS to the new rims will I have a constant alert on the dash?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts