21 Yukon Denali - How do you prevent the radio/XM from turning on automatically??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum and it's been a long time since I've had a GMC. I have tried to search for a solution and have seen one post about this quite a few years back. Is there a setting or fix to prevent the radio/XM from turning on automatically EVERY time the vehicle starts back up? I was able to change some settings on my phone/android to prevent it to auto play every time it turns on. Now...XM turns on every time it starts up. Software seems to be up to date. Thanks for the help.

01dailey

Reaction score
New to the forum and it's been a long time since I've had a GMC. I have tried to search for a solution and have seen one post about this quite a few years back. Is there a setting or fix to prevent the radio/XM from turning on automatically EVERY time the vehicle starts back up? I was able to change some settings on my phone/android to prevent it to auto play every time it turns on. Now...XM turns on every time it starts up. Software seems to be up to date. Thanks for the help.
The radio always turns on whenever you start the vehicle. You cannot turn it off, all you can do is control is the volume. Go into the Infotainment settings and set your preferences. One of them is "Maximum Startup Volume". I like to keep my startup volume at "0".

OP
OP
V

vdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The radio always turns on whenever you start the vehicle. You cannot turn it off, all you can do is control is the volume. Go into the Infotainment settings and set your preferences. One of them is "Maximum Startup Volume". I like to keep my startup volume at "0".
Thanks for the tip! That is what I was afraid of. That seems pretty ridiculous as it's something so simple. Defaulting with the radio on every time it starts is not a common setting. Anyway, thanks and appreciate the help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! That is what I was afraid of. That seems pretty ridiculous as it's something so simple. Defaulting with the radio on every time it starts is not a common setting. Anyway, thanks and appreciate the help.
the interface they made for the vehicle system uses the radio as part of the interface, soon you wont even have control of your vehicle if big brother deems it so. control and choice will not be in our hands much longer for pretty much anything, it's already intruded into your home with "smart" devices. pretty soon not only will you not be able to have a gas stove or light bulb or lawn mower but a "smart monitor" will be required, wait and see........ it will be under some guise like facial recognition to prevent crime.
tin foil hats for everyone! lol, don't forget to save up for that electric car..... also required. see where it's going

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say defaulting with the radio on... are you meaning that the head unit is 'on'. Or do you mean every time you start the vehicle a radio station is playing on the speakers?

If you mean the radio playing can't you edit that via a user profile then assign it to a key?

OP
OP
V

vdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say defaulting with the radio on... are you meaning that the head unit is 'on'. Or do you mean every time you start the vehicle a radio station is playing on the speakers?

If you mean the radio playing can't you edit that via a user profile then assign it to a key?
What I mean is...every time I start the vehicle, the radio/XM starts to play, even if the radio was off the last time I shut the vehicle off. IMO and from what I consider "normal", if I have the radio off and turn off the car, the radio should not come back on the next time I start the car. I chatted with GMC support and they did not have an answer and referred me to a dealer. I spoke to a dealer and they had no answer as well. I was checking on the forums to see if anyone had a fix or hack...other than to turn the volume to zero.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reality is, there is no “off” for the radio.

The infotainment system is always on and is the “brains” of the dash.

You can have the volume at zero or muted, but my guess is all the tuners are still on and receiving signal.

As mentioned above, you can set the default initial volume in the audio settings, but I am not sure how to set it for “default to what it was when you turned the vehicle off.” Which seems to be what you were asking for.

I’ll look at my settings when I head to work today and see if there is a way to have no default volume…because I don’t recall ever setting the default volume, and I seem to remember the volume defaulting to how I left it…but I don’t recall ever leaving it on mute/zero…more later

OP
OP
V

vdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

You can have the volume at zero or muted, but my guess is all the tuners are still on and receiving signal.

As mentioned above, you can set the default initial volume in the audio settings, but I am not sure how to set it for “default to what it was when you turned the vehicle off.” Which seems to be what you were asking for.

I’ll look at my settings when I head to work today and see if there is a way to have no default volume…because I don’t recall ever setting the default volume, and I seem to remember the volume defaulting to how I left it…but I don’t recall ever leaving it on mute/zero…

I’ll look at my settings when I head to work today and see if there is a way to have no default volume…because I don’t recall ever setting the default volume, and I seem to remember the volume defaulting to how I left it…but I don’t recall ever leaving it on mute/zero…more later
Sorry, I should clarify....yes, I understand it's not "off" and it's muted. It makes sense for the system itself to be on. I am just wondering why it can't simply remember the last setting (again, like most cars) when starting up again and why it has to be "on" every time I start the vehicle. I know...it's a minor gripe. :) Thanks for the assistance!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should clarify....yes, I understand it's not "off" and it's muted. It makes sense for the system itself to be on. I am just wondering why it can't simply remember the last setting (again, like most cars) when starting up again and why it has to be "on" every time I start the vehicle. I know...it's a minor gripe. :) Thanks for the assistance!
so not owning a 2021+ myself I do own a 18, if I put my screen on the home setting (no radio or anything playing) and turn off the vehicle, when I start it again it just goes to the homescreen, no radio playing or anything. so you are saying you cannot do that on yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645