'21 High Country Ceramic Coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh. No. Paint can be ruined by a poor washing technique (albeit not nearly as quickly). You don’t need ridiculously aggressive compound to ruin paint. I’m all for DIY, if the person is capable, but sugar coating doesn’t help anyone. People need to be aware of the real life risks before attempting something like paint correction on a $90k truck........

BTSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh. No. Paint can be ruined by a poor washing technique (albeit not nearly as quickly). You don’t need ridiculously aggressive compound to ruin paint. I’m all for DIY, if the person is capable, but sugar coating doesn’t help anyone. People need to be aware of the real life risks before attempting something like paint correction on a $90k truck........

OMG You dont have to paint correct a new vehicle to ceramic coat. (large majority will be hitting their local automatic carwashes within same week)

I'm sure everyone reading your comments will likely be running to their nearest detail shop.

Guys this isnt rocket science ...educate yourself.

I'm done here.

Last edited:

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please stop paying people to apply ceramic. Its simple. clean, cut, polish, IPA, ceramic. Or you can just IPA, ceramic. Most of you guys will be hitting automatic car washes which will wreak havoc on your paint anyway.

I might be interested in doing this myself. Could you explain the steps you listed or where I might educate myself on doing this?

My vehicles have always been hand washed and waxed. Would this make it easier? How often do you reapply the ceramic coat?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG You dont have to paint correct a new vehicle to ceramic coat. (large majority will be hitting their local automatic carwashes within same week)

I'm sure everyone reading your comments will likely be running to their nearest detail shop.

I'm done here.

New cars are not always perfect. My SS looked like hell when I brought it home. It needed a clay bar and a full paint correction with Megs 105 and 205 to look good. You’re the one who needs to get educated based on what you’re telling people here. I’m not saying it can’t be done DIY at all. I’m just trying to be real and keep someone from ruining the paint on their brand new car because you’re saying it’s not rocket science. The devil is always in the details and the prep is key.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be interested in doing this myself. Could you explain the steps you listed or where I might educate myself on doing this?

My vehicles have always been hand washed and waxed. Would this make it easier? How often do you reapply the ceramic coat?

Check out Adams. Their product line is great quality and they’ve got a lot of good information on their site. Auto Geek is another good resource.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please stop paying people to apply ceramic. Its simple. clean, cut, polish, IPA, ceramic. Or you can just IPA, ceramic. Most of you guys will be hitting automatic car washes which will wreak havoc on your paint anyway.
Coming from a professional detailer standpoint, and having been through all the training to learn how to properly polish paint and prep for a ceramic coating, it’s not as simple as you make it sound. I agree with @91RS there are things to learn and it isn’t necessarily the easiest thing to do for at home wash guys. Also your comment about the 5 year coatings is BS. I have experience with a couple different 5 year coatings and they’re absolutely worth the money because most of the time they’re only going to need polishing if there’s major scratching happening. The coatings protect against swirls and light scratching.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm done here.
Anyone who is spending money to get their car corrected and ceramic’d would be an imbecile to go to a mechanical wash. I’ll give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is spending money to get their car corrected and ceramic’d would be an imbecile to go to a mechanical wash. I’ll give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of people who do exactly that I would guess is over 50 % probably more. They think ceramic gives them the freedom to hit the auto wash as much as they want (and they do as most places have the unlimited wash monthly subscription).

OP
OP
Alex Gales

Alex Gales

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry folks, I didn't get alerts for this post.

I had it done and it looked outstanding. Ran me $1200.

They used UK Quartz and did a one step paint correction. You'd be surprised at the amount of correction simply from the dealer prepping it. It could have used an additional step in my opinion. There were still light marks; although I looked really hard.

The shop I went to considered it a daily driver based on the types of very high end vehicles that go there. My expectations were higher than what they thought for a daily driver. I know for a fact if I spent more, I wouldn't have had anything to complain about other than a lighter wallet.

Long story short, it snowed a few days after the coating and they salted the crap out of the roads. Winter is hanging on in NY. I have to wash it before I can take photos.

Thank you all for the follow up.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how you coat it, automatic car washes WILL ruin your finish, period. You may not see it the 1st day or week or even year. But by the time you discover it, the damage will be done and it will be all over the vehicle. I realize some people may not have a choice, but I made arrangements with a local detailer to hand wash my vehicle every 2 weeks at a fair fee. This big monster is hard to wash right and will wear you out, but when done right, there is nothing sharper....

Last edited: