2023 Tahoe Buying Advice - Ordering vs Looking For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
As someone who’s just starting down this road, it is both enlightening and disappointing to see others’ experiences. But, I guess it’s the way of the world. GMC dealers are not the only ones engaging in these shenanigans. I’ve bought other vehicles at times when demand was high, but never paid over MSRP (and even then it sort of hurt).

Nonetheless, there are some aspects of this game that I simply won’t get sucked into…the $1,500 charge for $100 worth of “paint protection” is among them, as is the exorbitant dealer prep fee. I can outwait them if necessary…and I have a long memory when it comes to dealing with dealerships that try to screw me.

testhomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's the new dealer thing, adding ceramic coating, window tint or wrapping part of the front. If you order make sure in your deal that when
it comes in they don't add anything unless you want it.
No doubt. One of the chevy dealers in Central CA told me they put lojack on EVERY car for about 1200 extra bucks. I said if I’m paying cash and not even financing, I’m not going to just let you tack that on. I walked. Obviously they do that so they can keep an eye on their financed vehicles. But it is truly an insult when dealers add on all this high margin BS to a vehicle that costs an arm and a leg…

saturnfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried for a while and gave up.
Plus because of the chip shortage, not only are dealers that have vehicles in stock asking for MSRP for vehicles with less standard items but then put extra crap on them we don't want...I am going to ride it out. I gave up on buying an F350 too because of the new policies and dealers that were selling below invoice at ford got their hands slapped. I ended up ordering a Ram TRX at 10K below the sticker price. Now with the big incentives at JEEP (below Invoice)...I am thinking about possibly getting a grand wagoneer. I will wait to see if GM starts getting a build-up of inventory...I don't trust the JEEP twin-turbo v6. I rather get a 6.2 V8.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried for a while and gave up.
Plus because of the chip shortage, not only are dealers that have vehicles in stock asking for MSRP for vehicles with less standard items but then put extra crap on them we don't want...I am going to ride it out. I gave up on buying an F350 too because of the new policies and dealers that were selling below invoice at ford got their hands slapped. I ended up ordering a Ram TRX at 10K below the sticker price. Now with the big incentives at JEEP (below Invoice)...I am thinking about possibly getting a grand wagoneer. I will wait to see if GM starts getting a build-up of inventory...I don't trust the JEEP twin-turbo v6. I rather get a 6.2 V8.
Stellantis group seems to be able to deliver vehicles right now. Wait times are minimal if you do order and most dealers are at invoice price or better. Not sure what it is other than they are a more global company and have a bigger supply base they can leverage. I don’t trust their product, otherwise I’d go up the road 5min and order a Wagoneer L.

Eighthtry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I started in March to order a 2022 Denali XL. I was closed out and kicked to 2023. GM accepted my order about a month ago. Only problem with this Denali is there will be no supercruise or brembo brakes. Brembo's are available from GM parts houses...of course.

I order because I can never find a car optioned up. Dealers have a standard order.

saturnfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stellantis group seems to be able to deliver vehicles right now. Wait times are minimal if you do order and most dealers are at invoice price or better. Not sure what it is other than they are a more global company and have a bigger supply base they can leverage. I don’t trust their product, otherwise I’d go up the road 5min and order a Wagoneer L.
I know. I was really hesitant about buying a RAM TRX, but will also get the 8/100K warranty. Same with the JEEP. I probably would have also ordered the grand wagoneer L if they did not just switch to a new Turbo v6 Engine...either way would be getting the 8/100K warranty. Hopefully, things sort out and I will just go through Costco Buying and get a Denali XL. I can wait it out.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. I was really hesitant about buying a RAM TRX, but will also get the 8/100K warranty. Same with the JEEP. I probably would have also ordered the grand wagoneer L if they did not just switch to a new Turbo v6 Engine...either way would be getting the 8/100K warranty. Hopefully, things sort out and I will just go through Costco Buying and get a Denali XL. I can wait it out.
The turbo 6 is a great engine and outperforms the Hemi in every respect. Durability is the real question though, as it has not been proven in real world driving yet. Hopefully their valvetrain components don't use the same GM suppliers! LOL!

saturnfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The turbo 6 is a great engine and outperforms the Hemi in every respect. Durability is the real question though, as it has not been proven in real world driving yet. Hopefully their valvetrain components don't use the same GM suppliers! LOL!
Yes sir.
I have been burned too many times on a first-year engine/tranny...Not going to do that again (unless with a massive ext. warranty)...Even with a Lexus and Toyota, i had issues with first-year models!
Now I am good with year 3 or older. i.e. GM has been using the 6.2 setups for a while, so hopefully, the kinks are worked out. I have an EcoBoost F150...and at 10 years and 70K miles...I am starting to see signs of the Turbo shudder. so that drove me away from getting an expedition. again, I can wait. interest rates, cash, whatever is not an issue. I go for the best price.

Crabby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you talking about the straight 6 turbo? I've read good reviews about it on the Jeep forum.

OP
OP
W

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
Lifters is question: does it matter if the Tahoe is an early 22, late 22 or a 23? Do they all have the lifter issues or was it fixed in 21?

This week I may make an offer on an early 22 or a mid 22. I did not know if it mattered, coming from a Toyota I can’t have this thing be down with 10k miles on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17