2023 Tahoe Buying Advice - Ordering vs Looking For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. But I think it depends on your "must haves" in a vehicle. For example, I believe you also are waiting on a diesel and those are very scarce on the inventory site. They have been scarce for a long time. So maybe you would have found one, maybe not. But the likelihood that it is A) available and B) being sold for MSRP or less might be a low probability. I wanted to find a dealer who will honor Supplier pricing, which cuts down the number of available dealers even more.

Then what other options do you need? For example, I must have a bench seat in the 2nd row. Those are very rare on inventory units and even more rare on something like a Denali. So in my situation, I think I would have been waiting even longer to get what I want to show up in inventory.

Now if you want something more common like the 5.3 (or even the 6.2) you probably have lots of options taking the "search the inventory" approach.

Personally I still like the ordering process, but I wouldn't waste time with a smaller dealer. I've had an SLT (diesel) order in at a smaller dealer since 8/16 and it still hasn't been picked up. I put an order in for a base Denali (diesel) at a larger dealer on 9/16 and it was just accepted today.

But I do agree the ordering process is confusing and frustrating. I guess you have to pick which approach works for you.
Good points - and further confirmation that this process is so HIGHLY dependent on the dealer. My dealer is relatively small - nice people, seem to have their ducks in a row, offered supplier pricing, but at the end of the day they don't get much allocation. I felt like I had an understanding about how this allocation process worked before I placed my order, but after continuing to learn more - based on what I'm trying to order - I should have gone with a much larger dealer.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been in the market for a 2023 Tahoe LT for about 6 months now. As I won't pay more than MSRP (most dealers want $2k - $8k over) and I am not in a rush it's been a lot of looking. I finally found two dealers within 100 miles of me that are selling at MSRP but neither had an LT in stock or comming.

After speaking with one of the dealers I placed an "order" with them for a 2023 Tahoe Silver (Luxury Package, 20" wheels, cross bars, Max Trailers (if they can get it) $69,330MSRP). No money down and I can walk any time, but the dealer explained this is not a traditional "order" where GM would build the Tahoe but when given the chance by GM the dealer would find a car that I want and take it in their stock to sell to me. I guess once a month or so dealers can pick a couple of newly built vehicles from a GM list to bring to their lot. I was told it takes about 12 weeks for this process, depending on what is offered and who has put their request in before me.

Has anyone done an order like this? Is there any other advice? I don't mind waiting but the value of my trade is going down and rates are going up.

I have looked anywhere within 250 miles of me and either the car/color is not available or if it is they what way over MSRP.

Thanks.
What state are u in?

ACCER123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep looking at Chevy's site for inventory and call every dealer that you could. We also had an order with our local dealer at MSRP but after 4 months waiting with nothing, we finally found the suburban that we wanted at MSRP after calling nearly all of the dealers in our state and the next state over.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the new dealer thing, adding ceramic coating, window tint or wrapping part of the front. If you order make sure in your deal that when
it comes in they don't add anything unless you want it.
Yep. I have seen this a lot. Where I bought my Tahoe they added that tint, some anti-rust device, free tires for life yada yada $3495! Plus a 5K market adjustment. Mine was in transit so I was able to get them to drop the $3495.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen this too….we’ll do MSRP…. but ……our mandatory add on package is 4500.00 and our dealer fee is 1500.00…. Non negotiable….
but they blow up the TV ads that they sell at MSRP…Ha! Gangsters!

OP
OP
W

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
Happy to hear I am not the only one having issues buying a Tahoe.

Spent 15 minutes on the phone the other day having a salesman tell me why the Tahoe I wanted was wrong and I should buy the one on the lot.

Red is better than silver, you don’t need the surround view, they are easy to drive, diesel is better than the 5.3 (diesel is $5 vs $3.44 here, I do multiple short 2mi trips diesel won’t warm up, my wife will probably put gas in it), we just got these Tahoes in we won’t get any more for a long time. Just got old.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a Tahoe that I was looking for, only 2 hours away asking MSRP. But then talked to sales and they put a "ceramic coating" on the car for only $1995, they do it on all their cars. I hate shopping for cars.
A lot of dealers here are doing that with 10 year old used cars. $2995 with the interior package. Total BS. My nephew sells cars. He makes $750 on every detail package he sells.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen this too….we’ll do MSRP…. but ……our mandatory add on package is 4500.00 and our dealer fee is 1500.00…. Non negotiable….
but they blow up the TV ads that they sell at MSRP…Ha! Gangsters!
Sounds like the dealers here that put additional dealer markup on their used cars...... WTF?