2022 Tahoe - Rear ended a month or so ago. Got the vehicle back today with different parts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part that is how insurance companies work. Use aftermarket parts for cost purposes. If you want OEM be ready to cover the difference.
Unless you are paying for the policy that provides oem parts. More $$

TXNJ

Reaction score
Unless you are paying for the policy that provides oem parts. More $$
Always been curious about this. Wonder if anyone who is in the insurance business can provide more detail. When I was younger and getting my own insurance my father told me that I needed to get a policy that provided for OEM parts. I inquired of my broker and as best I can recall they told me that it would be much more expensive to have that kind of policy, so I just gave up. But I also recall someone telling me that I could just insist on them using OEM parts. I found this hard to believe considering the cost difference, but he swore it would work. When I did get rear ended many years later, I took the car to a toyota body shop in the hopes they would use OEM parts. Based on what I got back, It did not seem like they did.
Can anyone with insurance industry experience or real life experience definitively say that
1) you can in fact get a policy that requires OEM parts to be used
2) What happens when you aren't at fault and the other person's insurance is covering? Can you demand OEM in that case? Or would you have to file a claim with your own carrier (where you have an OEM policy) to cover the difference between the aftermarket parts provided for by the other carrier and the OEM parts you ultimately want?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always been curious about this. Wonder if anyone who is in the insurance business can provide more detail. When I was younger and getting my own insurance my father told me that I needed to get a policy that provided for OEM parts. I inquired of my broker and as best I can recall they told me that it would be much more expensive to have that kind of policy, so I just gave up. But I also recall someone telling me that I could just insist on them using OEM parts. I found this hard to believe considering the cost difference, but he swore it would work. When I did get rear ended many years later, I took the car to a toyota body shop in the hopes they would use OEM parts. Based on what I got back, It did not seem like they did.
Can anyone with insurance industry experience or real life experience definitively say that
1) you can in fact get a policy that requires OEM parts to be used
2) What happens when you aren't at fault and the other person's insurance is covering? Can you demand OEM in that case? Or would you have to file a claim with your own carrier (where you have an OEM policy) to cover the difference between the aftermarket parts provided for by the other carrier and the OEM parts you ultimately want?
So, if you have damage caused by another driver, you can insist (and win) on oem replacement parts nearly always. The same goes with car rental. I refuse to be given a small egg crate when I’m driving my big suv. I’ve always been successful when the other driver is at fault.

TXNJ

Reaction score
So, if you have damage caused by another driver, you can insist (and win) on oem replacement parts nearly always. The same goes with car rental. I refuse to be given a small egg crate when I’m driving my big suv. I’ve always been successful when the other driver is at fault.
Good to know. Thanks.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least in MN, no insurer can require you to use replacement parts that are not OEM parts (except for glass). Every state is different....

From the MN Statues Sec72A.201, Subdivision 6, part 7 says:
"Subd. 6 Standards for automobile insurance claims handling, settlement offers, and agreements. In addition to the acts specified in subdivisions 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9, the following acts by an insurer, adjuster, or a self-insured or self-insurance administrator constitute unfair settlement practices:"

"(7) requiring as a condition of payment of a claim that repairs to any damaged vehicle must be made by a particular contractor or repair shop or that parts, other than window glass, must be replaced with parts other than original equipment parts or engaging in any act or practice of intimidation, coercion, threat, incentive, or inducement for or against an insured to use a particular contractor or repair shop. Consumer benefits included within preferred vendor programs must not be considered an incentive or inducement."

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should ask the insurance agency if they believe your brand new vehicle has aftermarket parts installed or OEM parts.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, was rear-ended and finally go the vehicle back. Checking everything over I notice that it all of the new plastic inside on the hatch just feels cheaper. Feels like things aren't quite as "tight" as they were brand new. Initially I thought they forgo to replace the button to close the hatch but then noticed it in a totally different location (see imgur video below). I also noticed after opening the hatch some water leaking down into the cargo area (It has been raining) which doesn't give me a ton of confidence. Are these just not GM parts or something? I'm a little pissed to be honest that it's not back exactly as it was and everything just feels cheaper to me.

Thoughts on this button placement?

I suspect that's the location on the 2023 Tahoe. The location for the 22 model was better. Everyone is scrambling trying to find parts. They probably did the best they could considering their sources are coming from Mexico or China. I doubt if you have any options. Welcome to the new world. Isn't globalization wonderful?

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that's the location on the 2023 Tahoe. The location for the 22 model was better. Everyone is scrambling trying to find parts. They probably did the best they could considering their sources are coming from Mexico or China. I doubt if you have any options. Welcome to the new world. Isn't globalization wonderful?

Maybe so. I'm taking it back this week and they are fixing the button along with four or five other things I've found that aren't quite right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401