2022 Tahoe fogging up a lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my 2022 Tahoe fogs up constantly. I've never had a vehicle fog up as bad as this one does. I realize it happens in the winter months and that's fine, but this one seems to do it all the time and out of seemingly nowhere. We were just driving home and my wife even mentioned it because every time we stopped at a stop light, for whatever reason the windshield fogged up completely. What settings are ideal for stopping this behavior because it's becoming a nuisance.

I have enabled auto defog in the settings, but I'm honestly not sure if that does anything or if it only is supposed to work if the air is on AUTO mode?

Usually my standard vents are up, forward facing and feet on about 72 degrees give or take with the A/C on and air recirculating. But turning off recirculation doesn't seem to make a difference.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running thru the dash vent and air is recirculating, especially in winter it is taking the more humid air in the cabin and reusing it. I typically have it split either between dash and feet, or dash and defog. If you are fogging up, turn off recirculate and put it on defog, even if heat is up. This will pull in outside air that is typically drier and then blows it across the windshield and side windows which will cut down the fog.

As far as i know the auto defog setting is for wen your vehicle is on remote start and prior to getting in and starting the vehicle.

Side note, i have never liked any vehicles auto hvac systems. Never puts the airflow where i want it and the fan speed is either too low or too high, so i use the controls to set it how i want it when i want it.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous rig was a Honda Pilot and Auto mode + set the temp is all we ever did.

On the Yukon I noticed the fogging issue on Auto mode so I switched to dash and floor vents @75F and that is working well.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running thru the dash vent and air is recirculating, especially in winter it is taking the more humid air in the cabin and reusing it. I typically have it split either between dash and feet, or dash and defog. If you are fogging up, turn off recirculate and put it on defog, even if heat is up. This will pull in outside air that is typically drier and then blows it across the windshield and side windows which will cut down the fog.

As far as i know the auto defog setting is for wen your vehicle is on remote start and prior to getting in and starting the vehicle.

Side note, i have never liked any vehicles auto hvac systems. Never puts the airflow where i want it and the fan speed is either too low or too high, so i use the controls to set it how i want it when i want it.
Thanks. I was hoping there was some sort of configuration I could just set it and forget it aside from maybe when there's extreme temps. I hate having to constantly turn defog on and off which seems like I'm doing that now. However, maybe by leaving recirculation off, it will fix my issue. I hate it being off because I get all the cigarette smoke smells and other smells coming in more prevalently but I guess I'll need to pick my poison.

I too have always hated the auto hvac systems for the same reasons you listed.
Previous rig was a Honda Pilot and Auto mode + set the temp is all we ever did.

On the Yukon I noticed the fogging issue on Auto mode so I switched to dash and floor vents @75F and that is working well.

I never have mine in auto and typically I've got the dash and floor vents open. Is your air recirculation off?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would mention this problem to dealer they could check a few things out, heater core could cause this but should have a bit of smell.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping there was some sort of configuration I could just set it and forget it aside from maybe when there's extreme temps. I hate having to constantly turn defog on and off which seems like I'm doing that now. However, maybe by leaving recirculation off, it will fix my issue. I hate it being off because I get all the cigarette smoke smells and other smells coming in more prevalently but I guess I'll need to pick my poison.

I too have always hated the auto hvac systems for the same reasons you listed.

I never have mine in auto and typically I've got the dash and floor vents open. Is your air recirculation off?
Yes, recirc should always be off in the winter time.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve not had any issues up front but the rear half of our Yukon xl fogs up like crazy when it’s raining and there’s a couple people riding in the vehicle

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running my rig, mostly on Auto here in MN (with outside temps from -15 to about 30) all winter, don't notice any worse fogging than eveer before. Can confirm recirc is NOT on...but, suggest if you have a ton of fogging, consider a longer trip w/ Defrost on, be sure AC light is on, this helps dehumidify the air, and keep recirc off...do you have a lot of moisture in the vehicle (from snowy boots, etc); this could contribute?

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has a '21 denali xl and have been driving a '22 yukon; we are in ND, silly cold (negative twenties and negative thirties.
We haven't had issues with fogging we leave then on auto all the time. In auto recirculate with not be lit and AC will be lit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17