2022 6.2 Tahoe Black Soot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Tahoe with 8k miles and it's leaving a big soot stain on my driveway. I can't park it on my pavers as it damages them.

I have taken the Tahoe to two dealerships now and they tell me "this is normal".

How could this be normal? Am I crazy here? This is not coming from the tail pipe either but from a joint in front of the cat.

1679414163210.png

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not normal. They need to address the issue. There have been multiple posts about this and its due to the ball-type flange at the cat and y-pipe. Find a new dealership, and take pictures with you to show proof.

Maybe someone here remembers if there was a TSB about this

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same exhaust on my 2017 and never once has it blown soot put onto the floor. 130k so far

OP
OP
P

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not normal. They need to address the issue. There have been multiple posts about this and its due to the ball-type flange at the cat and y-pipe. Find a new dealership, and take pictures with you to show proof.

I showed them the pictures and they insist it’s normal.

OP
OP
P

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There is a TSB but only for the Duramax engine. I showed them the TSB and they said “yeah that’s not your engine”.

Last time I buy a GM car for sure.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell them cool, thanks. I'll send the bill for soot removal from my paver driveway that I'd like to be able to park my $80k rig on. Complete BS

Mollys70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It the leak is coming from the ball-type flange at the cat and y-pipe, I'd think you have some kind of exhaust/emissions factory warranty.
Google review can be your friend.

OP
OP
P

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go park it on the dealer showroom floor and run it for 35 minutes!

Seriously, instead of taking it in for “black soot” make an appointment for “exhaust leak in front of the catalytic converter”
I said it was an exhaust leak and its documented like that in the paperwork. They insist it's "normal".
I will try one more time to take it to the dealer as instructed by GM. However, I am already pricing it out for trade in value and looking at BMW X7s. Had a BMW before and never had issues with warranty claims. And you would think this is a simple fix for them!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be a simple fix. There was something I saw about some sort of high temp tape for the diesel ones. I would assume it would work the same. But, that being said, it sounds like a quality control issue on the manufacturing of the Y pipe.

These new vehicles are a complete joke sometimes. You'd think that a corporation that posts 11.5 billion in profit could spend some money to make quality components.