2022 5.3 Tahoe belt issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foles75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been watching this forum since my purchase about 1.5 months ago.. its a wealth of information!
I have roughly 2,400 miles on this 5.3 and it has been to two different dealers for ongoing belt squealing. So far the idler pulley has been replaced and main belt, still squealing.. was over bringing it to the dealer I purchased from and tried a new dealer... replaced the small belt I think for the AC compressor.. about 2-3 hundred miles later squealing again.. im basically at wits end right now.. the next time it goes back it will be the 5th time going back to a dealer in 2,400 miles... normal belt squealing sound... used to present itself when fully warmed and now it's there all the time.. just curious on any advice you all might want to give.. thank you!!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't hear anything from our '21 but I could not eliminate belt noise from our '11 no matter what I tried. New belt, tensioner, belt spray etc...no change. Wasn't a squeal but more an annoying noise that was quite noticeable

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it’s either misalignment or excessive turning force on a driven item. Surely a competent tech could figure this out, there’s not a million things it could be.

OP
OP
F

Foles75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand misalignment but excessive turning force? What would some of those causes?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably in lemon law territory now. If they can't fix it after a set number of attempts then file a claim.

OP
OP
F

Foles75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're probably in lemon law territory now. If they can't fix it after a set number of attempts then file a claim.
I will give my local dealership one more shot since they have never done us wrong on any of our prior vehicles.. then I guess I would have to call GM directly?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand misalignment but excessive turning force? What would some of those causes?

Any pulley that turns can have too much resistance or a defective bearing. Alternator, water pump, tensioner, etc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be something as simple as loosening mounting bolts up and re-torque, you might suggest that next time you drop it off. i wouldn't run off the deep end to lemon law or moaning to gm corporate just yet for some :squeal:

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give my local dealership one more shot since they have never done us wrong on any of our prior vehicles.. then I guess I would have to call GM directly?
No, GM will do nothing. They will act like their helping but never really do anything. They just kick the can down the road and kick it some more... I've went through this on my first 2021 Yukon. Document everything; all service reports, days in shop and emails. So if you go this route, just find an attorney that specializes in lemon law. I did an internet search and found one in my state close by. Can do it all from your laptop. Really easy process, costs you nothing. You wont get a new vehicle or anything like that, unless your problems deal with safety or serious mechanical issues. But could get a small settlement and extended warranty, etc. GM needs to seriously improve their game.

OP
OP
F

Foles75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could be something as simple as loosening mounting bolts up and re-torque, you might suggest that next time you drop it off. i wouldn't run off the deep end to lemon law or moaning to gm corporate just yet for some :squeal:
I fully agree 100% with what your saying. With 2400 miles this next appointment will be the 5th time.. just wicked frustrating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz