2021 Z71 Issues Post Lifter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wmsims

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new here and trying to find some answers regarding my 21 Z71 Tahoe. Purchase in January of 21 and currently has just over 23,500 miles.

Spent last week in the shop due to lifter failure. Lifters we’re replaced by GM. Picked the car up yesterday & have driven maybe 50 miles since the repair. I am noticing a very obvious jerk that is getting progressively worse/more frequent on my drive home. Has anyone else experienced this?? Again, this is POST LIFTER REPLACEMENT and less than 24 hours since being out of the shop.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This "jerk", is it while accelerating, decelerating, idling, cruising at speed, turning, going straight? I'd take it back to the dealer and show them the issue.

OP
OP
W

Wmsims

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This "jerk", is it while accelerating, decelerating, idling, cruising at speed, turning, going straight? I'd take it back to the dealer and show them the issue.
It is mainly lower gears. Sometimes when accelerating but sometimes when holding a steady speed. I do not notice that it is doing it specifically when turning or going straight, just at random times.

It began jerking/shuttering once every couple minutes however, by the time I made it home it was doing it MUCH more frequently and would do it several times in a row. Almost as if the vehicle was having a difficult time accelerating.

My concern is if this is still a lifter issue or if this is an issue coming from the work they did when replacing the lifters.

We already planned to sell the vehicle and get into something we are more comfortable with/reliable but now with even more issues I am concerned we will have a hard time selling the car. Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it back to the dealer, but have them come pick it up. I don't know if its the lifters or not. Did they replace one bank of lifters or both? I wouldn't trust it until they figure out the issue your dealing with.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually they only replace one side after 8,000 miles. Maybe the other side of lifters are going now?

OP
OP
W

Wmsims

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will have to double check but I am 90% sure they only replaced the side that failed.

Is anyone aware on wether GM offers any type of buy back program on vehicles that are continually having these issues?

OP
OP
W

Wmsims

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will say that when the lifter failed initially there was zero warning except a very faint knocking noise right before it failed completely. This time there is no noise associated with the jerking/shutter.

Reaction score
It always scares me when I hear about the early model year lifter issues. My Z71 was manufactured in August 2020 and I purchased in November 2020. I heard that changing the oil early on (and often) may prevent this problem from occurring, so I did my first oil change at 2500 miles, another at 6300 and another at 10,500. I did this last one just a few days before we left on a 2600 mile road trip. No problems at all and now we're getting ready for another road trip out West in October. I will get another oil change before we leave and hope that will prevent anything like this from happening, but I see the OP had his occur at 23,500. I thought that if this kind of thing was going to happen it would have occurred much sooner. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65