Lifter issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for my self and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the issue, the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my witts end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

Local dealer will only cover $40/day for rental. I bought this truck from a dealer that is about 1.5 hour drive from me. They have been helpfull giving me a Denali for the tranny issue but not sure what to do now. I love the truck but not after going through all of this. i feel this truck is tainted and I want another one. That is going to be my next email to the dealer I bought it from. Even if they repair the lifter, WOULD YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK IS RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THIS?

If I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 12/26/21 HOW DO I KNOW THE BUILD DATE. THEY REFER TO IT AS A 2022 BUT NOW I AM WIERY ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT THE LIFTER ISSUES WERE IN THE 2021 MODELS. VERY FRUSTRATED!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for my self and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the issue, the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my witts end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

Local dealer will only cover $40/day for rental. I bought this truck from a dealer that is about 1.5 hour drive from me. They have been helpfull giving me a Denali for the tranny issue but not sure what to do now. I love the truck but not after going through all of this. i feel this truck is tainted and I want another one. That is going to be my next email to the dealer I bought it from. Even if they repair the lifter, WOULD YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK IS RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THIS?

If I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 12/26/21 HOW DO I KNOW THE BUILD DATE. THEY REFER TO IT AS A 2022 BUT NOW I AM WIERY ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT THE LIFTER ISSUES WERE IN THE 2021 MODELS. VERY FRUSTRATED!
Appleman88 -- I know you are frustrated, I would be too.
That said, why are you copying and pasting your same post to every thread about lifters???

The lifer issue is well documented...and GM pinned it on a range of engines built in a certain timeframe in early 2021.
It is possible your 2022 vehicle has an engine built in the specified time range, or it is possible you got unlucky and had a lifter fail for an engine built outside that time period. The dealer can determine when the engine was built.

My suggestion is this:
1) Let the dealer diagnose and analyze the issue and FIX it.
2) Be courteous w/ the dealer, they didn't build the vehicle...and they are trying to help you.
3) Consider that you could invoke lemon law, but before you do that, perhaps ask the Dealer to advocate to GM on your behalf for a remedy and the remedy may be to your satisfaction/advantage (like what if they offered you full bumper to bumper or full powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle, maybe that would be an option?, maybe not) but if you start getting gruff and annoying, you won't get much with the people who are advocating on your behalf.
4) After you have all the info in 1-3, only then consider your options for moving forward. Then do what you think is best for you.

These things are machines...AFM engines going back to 2007 have had stuck lifters.
But, yours truly put 115k trouble free miles on a 2013 with AFM, and was completely satisfied...

So, recognize a few things, it's a machine, it's designed and made by people, sometimes stuff happens...it's what happens after stuff happens that matters. If every vehicle GM ever made had zero issues, no dealer would have those big garage doors on the side marked "service."

Good luck to you. Thanks for sharing that you had a lifter issue...but not sure posting it in every single thread helps you or the forum much. GM doesn't read these posts, we are just a bunch of owners, like you.

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appleman88 -- I know you are frustrated, I would be too.
That said, why are you copying and pasting your same post to every thread about lifters???

The lifer issue is well documented...and GM pinned it on a range of engines built in a certain timeframe in early 2021.
It is possible your 2022 vehicle has an engine built in the specified time range, or it is possible you got unlucky and had a lifter fail for an engine built outside that time period. The dealer can determine when the engine was built.

My suggestion is this:
1) Let the dealer diagnose and analyze the issue and FIX it.
2) Be courteous w/ the dealer, they didn't build the vehicle...and they are trying to help you.
3) Consider that you could invoke lemon law, but before you do that, perhaps ask the Dealer to advocate to GM on your behalf for a remedy and the remedy may be to your satisfaction/advantage (like what if they offered you full bumper to bumper or full powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle, maybe that would be an option?, maybe not) but if you start getting gruff and annoying, you won't get much with the people who are advocating on your behalf.
4) After you have all the info in 1-3, only then consider your options for moving forward. Then do what you think is best for you.

These things are machines...AFM engines going back to 2007 have had stuck lifters.
But, yours truly put 115k trouble free miles on a 2013 with AFM, and was completely satisfied...

So, recognize a few things, it's a machine, it's designed and made by people, sometimes stuff happens...it's what happens after stuff happens that matters. If every vehicle GM ever made had zero issues, no dealer would have those big garage doors on the side marked "service."

Good luck to you. Thanks for sharing that you had a lifter issue...but not sure posting it in every single thread helps you or the forum much. GM doesn't read these posts, we are just a bunch of owners, like you.
Hi Walley, Thanks for the response and insight. I am new to the site and not computer literate at all. I did not mean to post on every thread, i'm just not sure where or when i'm posting so sorry about that. I really do appreciate everything you said and I do feel the dealers and GM our handling my situation appropiately.