2021 Yukon SLT Rear End Sag when Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, towing 5500 lb travel trailer with 720 lb hitch of weight before adjusting distribution hitch. All weights under Yukon rated capacity. Using Anderson weight distribution hitch, able to move 100 lbs to front axle, 100 lbs to trailer, so 200 less on rear axle. Yukon definitely sags in the rear, 1-1.5 inches. Has anyone added airbags to an SLT to help level truck? Does adding airbags effect the warrenty?

swamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Northern Mi Rich,

Having the same problem with our 2021 Tahoe Z71 with a 3500lb camper fully loaded and tongue weight of 470lbs. Would be interested in knowing what everyone else is doing?

Suzanne

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its going to sag guys... You may get by with airlift helper bags in the springs, but other than that, the suspension is tuned light for ride comfort...

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic
Yeah IRS and towing. Back when i had 05 Navigator i was towing my 94 Mustang to different drag tracks. Navigator had airbags on all 4 corners from the factoryand IRS and it still sag on rear. IRS didnt help either. I understand IRS on rear makes smoother ride with 21+ SUVs but towing is better with live axle
Dont get me wrong i love IRS and always blamed GM for being cheep with live axle full size SUVs since ride is rough on daily driven, but when you tow something you want live axle. I drive semi over the road for living and im O/O. These trucks pulls heavy stuff and live axle is only way to go. My KW have AG400 suspension which is much softer suspension than other semi truck setups but still have live axle.
Anyway to help your towing air bags are needed

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We traded a 2019 Ford Raptor for our Yukon and the Raptor squatted when towing practically everything as well. Hated the full diaper squat look when we towed our boat. Haven’t towed our boat yet with the Yukon but looks like we will have saggy diaper syndrome again from the comments in this thread.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your sag on, as to be expected with half ton suspension...towed many vehicles (usually smaller than this exploder) with our 2011 z71 suburban and it always sagged so was fully anticipating this new one to follow suit.

IMG_3468.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7000 lb camper with our 2012 Yukon XL Denali - all of which came equipped with the rear air suspension as standard equipment. It turns it into a fabulous towing platform because it takes out all of the squat. Looking at the new trucks now, the Denali comes standard with Magneride, but air ride is yet another option on top of it, for several thousand $. That's a big loss for me. I may just opt for a lower trim when the time comes and add aftermarket airbags for towing.

I generally agree with the comment that a conventional solid axle is preferred for towing, but I've towed with IRS before and it was fine. Lots of folks out there towing with Expeditions as well.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7000 lb camper with our 2012 Yukon XL Denali - all of which came equipped with the rear air suspension as standard equipment. It turns it into a fabulous towing platform because it takes out all of the squat. Looking at the new trucks now, the Denali comes standard with Magneride, but air ride is yet another option on top of it, for several thousand $. That's a big loss for me. I may just opt for a lower trim when the time comes and add aftermarket airbags for towing.

I generally agree with the comment that a conventional solid axle is preferred for towing, but I've towed with IRS before and it was fine. Lots of folks out there towing with Expeditions as well.
The full on air suspension is an add on, but the regular spring suspension should come standard with the rear air leveling shocks on a denali.

From my understanding there are no aftermarket air bag setups available for the new rear independent suspension on these. And possibly wont be in the future.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get your sag on, as to be expected with half ton suspension...towed many vehicles (usually smaller than this exploder) with our 2011 z71 suburban and it always sagged so was fully anticipating this new one to follow suit.

View attachment 358090
Does that thing have the rear auto leveling air shocks? If so, that is sad. The prior model year air shocks worked fabulous at keeping the rig level, at least the last two we had did.