2021 Tahoe Z71 Rough Country says no to 2" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rigs look great guys. I have a ‘22 z71 on order, playing the waiting game, hope to get it sooner rather than later.

A couple questions when any of you guys with the rough country 2/1 get a chance.

Can you get pics of suspension angles front and back, mainly cv’s and space between control arms and bump/droop stops.

Anyone live in a climate where you’re in auto 4wd at highway speeds? If so any vibration or pulling when accelerating?

Do the rear controls arms have cams for adjusting alignment?

Last one, anyone do the install on their own? I see a step for compressing the strut and turning 180 to get the lower strut tabs realigned. I don’t have a spring compressor but have to imagine the other option is a vice and large wrench to simply adjust the mounting tab in the lower strut to realign it.

Big part of me would like to just keep the suspension stock since there’s minimal rake out of the factory, but I tend to not be able to do that with any of my vehicles once I start seeing them leveled/lifted

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rigs look great guys. I have a ‘22 z71 on order, playing the waiting game, hope to get it sooner rather than later.

A couple questions when any of you guys with the rough country 2/1 get a chance.

Can you get pics of suspension angles front and back, mainly cv’s and space between control arms and bump/droop stops.

Anyone live in a climate where you’re in auto 4wd at highway speeds? If so any vibration or pulling when accelerating?

Do the rear controls arms have cams for adjusting alignment?

Last one, anyone do the install on their own? I see a step for compressing the strut and turning 180 to get the lower strut tabs realigned. I don’t have a spring compressor but have to imagine the other option is a vice and large wrench to simply adjust the mounting tab in the lower strut to realign it.

Big part of me would like to just keep the suspension stock since there’s minimal rake out of the factory, but I tend to not be able to do that with any of my vehicles once I start seeing them leveled/lifted
You can rent a spring compressor at nearly any auto parts store if you want to do it yourself. I consider myself a quite competent shadetree mechanic (I've swapped engines, transmissions, clutches, t-belts, wire harness, suspensions, exhaust, etc...on many VW vehicles) but something about wrenching on a brand new $80k rig that primarily hauls around my wife and kids just didn't sit right with me. And especially on the suspension as it's a pretty important part of the rig. I looked through the install instructions and it didn't look all that difficult but I had the dealership install mine and it took them even longer than the 5 hours they quoted me. They did a level kit on my '11 suburban years ago and it took them like 90 minutes so these new rigs are maybe a bit more involved

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rent a spring compressor at nearly any auto parts store if you want to do it yourself. I consider myself a quite competent shadetree mechanic (I've swapped engines, transmissions, clutches, t-belts, wire harness, suspensions, exhaust, etc...on many VW vehicles) but something about wrenching on a brand new $80k rig that primarily hauls around my wife and kids just didn't sit right with me. And especially on the suspension as it's a pretty important part of the rig. I looked through the install instructions and it didn't look all that difficult but I had the dealership install mine and it took them even longer than the 5 hours they quoted me. They did a level kit on my '11 suburban years ago and it took them like 90 minutes so these new rigs are maybe a bit more involved
I did the front and rear level on my ‘17 Yukon, not too bad, the IRS could certainly add more time on the 21-up. I’ve done many pick ups too. You’re lucky a dealer in your area would install it, dealers around here would laugh in your face if asking them to install a leveling kit, it’s like a crime to them to modify anything from stock

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the front and rear level on my ‘17 Yukon, not too bad, the IRS could certainly add more time on the 21-up. I’ve done many pick ups too. You’re lucky a dealer in your area would install it, dealers around here would laugh in your face if asking them to install a leveling kit, it’s like a crime to them to modify anything from stock
I got a quote from 3 different tire stores as well that were willing to do the install as well but went with the dealer as I was just assuming none of the tire places had worked on a rig this new and I didn't want to be the guinea pig. You could check with them as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts