03 Z71 Tahoe with 4" RC NTD lift still rides kinda rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76Nick

Reaction score
Ok guys so as talked about in a previous post, I installed a 4" Rough Country NTD front lift for a Silverado on my 2003 Tahoe Z71. I went from a 3" torsion key/spacer lift. I liked the ride height but the ride quality was trash as you all know. I really hoped that a NTD lift would give me closer to factory ride quality but that doesn't seem to be the case. Truck has 2" torsion keys (thats what my truck came with) but they aren't cranked. If I loosened the bolts any more there would be no tension at all on the keys. Truck also has tubular 2-4" lift upper control arms I put in when I did the 3" torsion lift. Currently using the RC n3 front shocks. Has all new ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods. 33x12.50 18" tires. The ride quality isn't as bad as 3" torsion keys but its still pretty bumpy and more rough than it should be. Maybe due to the 2" keys or RC shocks? Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about a pic of a lower control arm where the jounce stop is?

OP
OP
76Nick

76Nick

Reaction score
?hash=bd7f66e8bed7ed54c566a7e785574e84.jpg20231119_195605_HDR.jpg
Drivers side looks like its dropped down more but the keys are adjusted the same amount on both sides and the wheel well spacing is the same from drivers to passenger side.

Attachments

• 20231119_195541_HDR.jpg
    20231119_195541_HDR.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
76Nick

76Nick

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas where my issue lies?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it riding on the bumpstops at normal ride height or are you "flexing" the suspension for your pictures?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, im confused why you are trying to decrank the torsion bars more? you need to get it off the bump stops to begin with and see how it rides. you may have to find some stock keys if youre trying to only run 3-4" of lift? not sure never messed with torsion bar front end
the RC shocks should be fine for a while since you already have them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a stock frontend suspension you WANT the lower control arms to contact the jounce stops; that's a pivot point for the fulcrum effect. Not sure why it would be any different for a modified suspension.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a stock frontend suspension you WANT the lower control arms to contact the jounce stops; that's a pivot point for the fulcrum effect. Not sure why it would be any different for a modified suspension.
Only at full suspension compression though - not at all times. To elaborate further, the suspension should be set up in a way where the bump stops are just about never used unless in very rare and extreme circumstances. There would be no harsher ride possible (unless the bump stops fell out) if you were contacting the bump stops frequently OR riding on them all of the time. At that point the bumpstop is supporting all of the weight, you have no suspension to speak of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only at full suspension compression though - not at all times. To elaborate further, the suspension should be set up in a way where the bump stops are just about never used unless in very rare and extreme circumstances. There would be no harsher ride possible (unless the bump stops fell out) if you were contacting the bump stops frequently OR riding on them all of the time. At that point the bumpstop is supporting all of the weight, you have no suspension to speak of.

That applies to the rear bump stops. I'm talking about the jounce stops in front.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a stock frontend suspension you WANT the lower control arms to contact the jounce stops; that a pivot point for the fulcrum effect. Not sure why it would be any different for a modified suspension.
hmph....today I learned :shrug:
Would a new jounce stop help in this case?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar