2021 Tahoe Z71 disabled after software update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusttur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put me in the same group here. I came home from vacation last Monday to a completely dead battery in my garage. Nothing, no power, wouldn't do anything. Had to put it on wheel dolly's and push it out of the garage with my neighbors due to the comically bad choice of not being able to put the vehicle in neutral. Had it towed to the dealership and they said the battery had gone bad. They replaced it and I picked it up that evening and drove it home.

Came out to my vehicle early in the morning the next day and when I tried to start it the dash just lit up with all of these errors and warnings and the Tahoe wouldn't start. Couldn't turn it off and just had to let it sit there until the dealership opened. Had to have it towed again back to the dealership. Dealership has now had it a week and their last text made me laugh as they said "This is a top priority and we are searching for the issue." Which to me translates "We haven't looked at it yet but will soon, hopefully." Meanwhile the documents they gave me when I brought the Tahoe to them the 2nd time said the vehicle had an expected fix date of Wednesday, May 10th. What do you want to bet the dealership magically finds the issue today and tells me the car is fixed?

This is enough to make me want to trade it in. For something like this to happen to a vehicle that is only a year and a half old is completely unacceptable and gives me major doubts that this vehicle is going to last. To just render the vehicle inoperable is absolutely ridiculous. The no-neutral without power issue is not only a joke but also puts you at risk for majorly damaging your vehicle. When I had it towed the only option was to drag it up a flat bed which I'm sure was great for the transmission and axels.

I really think I'm going trade it in for something different. Assuming they fix my vehicle it still has a good resale value so I might as well do it now. Will be my last GM vehicle which saddens me as its all I've driven for the past 10 years. I've put some considerable money into my Tahoe but I just don't trust it to not die on me again. If I would have been traveling for work I would have been completely screwed.
Mine is still at the dealership and it's been three days and they still haven't been able to get power to the vehicle. I got an update yesterday saying they couldn't do the software update manually. They are now having to "reprogram" the vehicles electrical modules because none of them are talking to each other like they should. This vehicle is less than a year old and has 8k miles, I just find it unfathomable that a failed software update can cause such problems. And to have no "manual" option to override the system leaving you absolutely stuck where you're at is ridiculous. I'm hopeful they'll get it fixed soon, but fearful what kind of long term problems I may have because all the stock components have now been compromised. Will post when I hear anything.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think GM is the only one that does OTAU's with issues. Just search and you will find most of the others have issues at times.
AutomakerOTA-Upgraded Components
AudiNavigation
BMWInfotainment, optional features
FordADAS, several other components
General MotorsNearly every vehicle component on EVs, major components on combustion vehicles
HondaInfotainment
HyundaiInfotainment, voice assistance
Jaguar/Land RoverInfotainment, charging capabilities
LucidNearly every vehicle component and system
Mercedes-BenzInfotainment, navigation
NissanInfotainment
PolestarNearly every vehicle component and system
PorscheLimited functions
RivianNearly every vehicle component and system
Stellantis (FCA)Infotainment
TeslaNearly every vehicle component and system
ToyotaInfotainment
VolkswagenSeveral vehicle components and systems on EVs
VolvoNearly every vehicle component and system

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 2022 Yukon XL AT4 that I bought a week ago!! 7k miles on it, had to go out of state to get exactly what I wanted. My very pregnant wife was stranded with our other kids, no power to anything. Couldn't even lock the doors. Nobody would tow it for fear of damaging something since it couldn't be switched in to neutral. Sat in a parking lot for two days and two nights fully unlocked.
OMFG! I'm never buying chevy again.. I thought my 2012 had issues.. mostly annoyances so far, to be fair.

Thank you for that. It’s absolutely stunning to me that they designed it this way.
This is why right to repair is such a big deal. If 3rd parties could diagnose and fix these issues we wouldn't have to wait on GM to never do anything. Of course what does GM care they have your money already... I got a knock off tech2 a few months ago and I just got my MPVI3 from HP Tuners Friday. F**k GM ill do it myself.
This vehicle is less than a year old and has 8k miles, I just find it unfathomable that a failed software update can cause such problems. And to have no "manual" option to override the system leaving you absolutely stuck where you're at is ridiculous.
Completely against car ethos.. Gonna drive mine until it's not worth fixing, never going back..
If a lot of newer companies are doing the same, I won't be looking at their products either.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think GM is the only one that does OTAU's with issues. Just search and you will find most of the others have issues at times.
An infotainment or driver assist issue.. those are features. Not nearly as bad as "major components" or "Nearly every vehicle component"!

The only other companies in the same category are Lucid, Polestar, Rivian and Tesla.. oh and Volvo
None other major manufacturers..

To leave you stranded with no way to get running again in any timely fashion.. on a new car.. Verboten in my book.

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is still at the dealership and it's been three days and they still haven't been able to get power to the vehicle. I got an update yesterday saying they couldn't do the software update manually. They are now having to "reprogram" the vehicles electrical modules because none of them are talking to each other like they should. This vehicle is less than a year old and has 8k miles, I just find it unfathomable that a failed software update can cause such problems. And to have no "manual" option to override the system leaving you absolutely stuck where you're at is ridiculous. I'm hopeful they'll get it fixed soon, but fearful what kind of long term problems I may have because all the stock components have now been compromised. Will post when I hear anything.

Lol my dealer just told me the same thing this morning. I’m assuming this has to be fixable but either way I’m dumping my Tahoe. I don’t ever want to have to go through this again.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An infotainment or driver assist issue.. those are features. Not nearly as bad as "major components" or "Nearly every vehicle component"!

The only other companies in the same category are Lucid, Polestar, Rivian and Tesla.. oh and Volvo
None other major manufacturers..

To leave you stranded with no way to get running again in any timely fashion.. on a new car.. Verboten in my book.
The Infotainment on many new cars control more than just a radio. So far we have had 2 Ford's bricked the same way. Most of what I am reading, unable to vehicle in Neutral, any competent tow company should be able to so that, they did with the 2 Fords we had to have towed, both of which sat for close to 2 months on parts to get them going. No one likes bricking anything, but it isn't specific to GM vehicles, and it isn't every GM vehicle. Most manufacturers will tell you they are moving to OTAU's, it save them $$$. The grass isn't always greener, it's just a different shade of green.

Toyota's Statement on updates
Lexus
Ford - They already update F150's
Just Google any manufacturer, RAM for instance calls it a UConnect Update, but in reality they are updating other components. Pick your poison.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't driven many new cars, and without hard numbers, yes who knows. There's always a few lemons..

regarding OTAU's... I have a feeling they're following in the footsteps of iphone updates.. Forced obsolescence.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every new car is going to over the air updates. Anything can break and malfunction. Sounds like some of y'all are gonna be walking since the 'tech' scares you.

The others with the older vehicles fail to realize your 1 leaking capacitor away from being stranded somewhere. Good luck finding that fault on a obd1 vehicle. Obd2 easier but finding the problem then fixing it will also leave you with a mechanically totalled vehicle.

We are just now starting to see electrical component failures on the 'simple' machines.

dusttur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked my Yukon up from the dealer this morning and everything is back to normal. They were able to do the software update via wired connection after about three tries and it finally was successful. Regarding the OTAU, lessons learned: do not attempt any update unless you're parked at home or somewhere safe in case the vehicle turns into a brick like mine did. If you are running an update ensure you are somewhere a tow truck can access your vehicle. It is def unfortunate that something like this could happen; however, if you do some research it seems like all car companies are having these issues. I think it's a natural progression when car companies are suddenly in the software development space. Personally, I like the tech aspect of these vehicles and the convenience they bring to driving; however, it would be really nice if there was some way to bypass the electronics if something crazy happens allowing you to at least drive the vehicle to the dealer. I'm not writing off GM or the newer tech-filled vehicles (yet), I just think we as consumers need to understand that there are certain precautions we can take to avoid full on disasters like I had. The dealership (where I didn't even purchase the vehicle) did a great job troubleshooting, finding the problem, and solving it. Should it have ever happened? No. Who knows, maybe they'll push an OTAU to fix this......
1683831071122.png

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked my Yukon up from the dealer this morning and everything is back to normal. They were able to do the software update via wired connection after about three tries and it finally was successful. Regarding the OTAU, lessons learned: do not attempt any update unless you're parked at home or somewhere safe in case the vehicle turns into a brick like mine did. If you are running an update ensure you are somewhere a tow truck can access your vehicle. It is def unfortunate that something like this could happen; however, if you do some research it seems like all car companies are having these issues. I think it's a natural progression when car companies are suddenly in the software development space. Personally, I like the tech aspect of these vehicles and the convenience they bring to driving; however, it would be really nice if there was some way to bypass the electronics if something crazy happens allowing you to at least drive the vehicle to the dealer. I'm not writing off GM or the newer tech-filled vehicles (yet), I just think we as consumers need to understand that there are certain precautions we can take to avoid full on disasters like I had. The dealership (where I didn't even purchase the vehicle) did a great job troubleshooting, finding the problem, and solving it. Should it have ever happened? No. Who knows, maybe they'll push an OTAU to fix this......
View attachment 399017

Glad to hear they were able to fix yours. I'm on day 9 and they are still saying they can't figure it out. I'm going in there this morning and will mention this to them. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts