2021 Denali - lifter replaced now camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So lifters we’re replaced (after a month at the dealership). It has only 6,000 miles. When we picked it up we noticed a rattling noise on a cold start. We returned it to dealer and now dealer says the camshaft has to be replaced. We are not car people and are relying on the expertise of others. I searched the forum and didn’t see this problem elsewhere. Are we the only ones? Thanks in advance for your help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I suspected from the beginning of this that cams may or may not have to be done but the dealers/GM will only replace what is absolutely needed. The cam may not be a problem and could be either a bad lifter that was installed or another problem caused by the work done but the dealer may never admit to that. Make sure that the documentation states exactly what the cause(s) are and what they did and parts replaced.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wondering if the camshaft was really the problem. Instead of replacing both banks of lifters, they replaced one, and sent it out the door. Now the other side is bad, but instead of telling the customer that they didnt do the work ordered by GM, they told you this instead.

As I said in another thread, I would not buy any GM product that isnt a Diesel from 2019+

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lifters we’re replaced (after a month at the dealership). It has only 6,000 miles. When we picked it up we noticed a rattling noise on a cold start. We returned it to dealer and now dealer says the camshaft has to be replaced. We are not car people and are relying on the expertise of others. I searched the forum and didn’t see this problem elsewhere. Are we the only ones? Thanks in advance for your help.
No, you're not the only one. There was a bad batch of lifters and they can take out the camshaft. Make sure they provide a suitable rental while you wait for the truck to get fixed again.

OP
OP
A

Amyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Today dealer said it’s gonna be another month for the camshaft to be replaced. So we are looking t hiring a lemon law attorney now. In Ga if it’s been in the shop30 days we qualify. It will be more like 60 days by the time we get it back. All the joy of having this vehicle is gone.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did it sound like when the camshaft went? Ours is back at the dealer for a rattle after having the lifters replaced 1,000 miles ago.

OP
OP
A

Amyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My husband did it was a rattle. I’m sorry.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have been wondering if cams might start showing up as a problem on trucks that have had lifter failures. It *should* be SOP to inspect the camshaft lobes for damage when a lifter fails, which is difficult/impossible to fully assess when the camshaft is still in the engine. When a lifter fails, it hammers the cam lobes and causes damage (see pic below of what a cam damaged by a failing lifter looks like). While the cam will likely still function for an unknowable period of time, it will not last as long as one that has not suffered damage. The good news in your case is that your damage was bad enough to cause audible symptoms leading to GM replacing the cam, but that will not always be the case and cam failures on the rest of the fleet that suffered lifter problems is only a matter of time.

1632344419092.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont