2021 Denali Assist Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

larryo

Reaction score
Espeicially since it's "out" not "up"
Interesting. I’ve never pulled myself out of the seat when I’m getting in the vehicle. Since the seat is somewhat higher than where I’m standing, I tend to pull myself “up” to get into the seat.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I’ve never pulled myself out of the seat when I’m getting in the vehicle. Since the seat is somewhat higher than where I’m standing, I tend to pull myself “up” to get into the seat.

I meant that the A pillar reach is likely easier since it's reaching out/forward, not up/overhead for entering.

gary645

Reaction score
Asked my dealer to replace the A pillar passenger cover with one with an assist handle. He researched the possibility including checking with GM. The answer is an assist handle cannot be added to the 2021 Denali.

Reaction score
I thought this to be strange, so I took a look at pics of the Tahoe "High Country" which I thought was the Chevy version of the Denali and they do have the handle on the A pillar!! However, I see the Denali does have that speaker, thus no way to swap out with those that don't have the speaker there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larryo

Reaction score
In my original post a little over 3 years ago, I identified my issue with the lack of a passenger assist handle on the passenger A pillar. I have researched the possibility of replacing the existing A pillar trim with one that has an assist handle like on the SLT and SLE. I have found a solution to my issue.
it’s taken me awhile to get the parts needed and wait until my Yukon Denali was out of warranty.
But here is the result of my efforts.
9180FFC3-8CA3-45CD-9F3F-AB7CF5FF9939.jpegYou will notice the lack of a speaker grille. This was a sacrifice I was willing to make in order to get the assist handle for my disabled wife. The speaker is still behind the trim although the sound may be distorted some. For me, the outcome meets my need.
If anyone is interested, I can post the details of how I accomplished this modification.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my original post a little over 3 years ago, I identified my issue with the lack of a passenger assist handle on the passenger A pillar. I have researched the possibility of replacing the existing A pillar trim with one that has an assist handle like on the SLT and SLE. I have found a solution to my issue.
it’s taken me awhile to get the parts needed and wait until my Yukon Denali was out of warranty.
But here is the result of my efforts.
View attachment 421052You will notice the lack of a speaker grille. This was a sacrifice I was willing to make in order to get the assist handle for my disabled wife. The speaker is still behind the trim although the sound may be distorted some. For me, the outcome meets my need.
If anyone is interested, I can post the details of how I accomplished this modification.
yes, pleaee. You must have gone w/ the Dark Atmosphere interior color, do you have the Light Shale/Teak as the choice color?
I wonder if a speaker shop or a dremel tool and some adhesive could be used to cut a speaker hole and steal the grill from the factory A Pillar trim.
A fair amoutt of Dash disassembly reuquired???

OP
OP
L

larryo

Reaction score
Removal of the passenger side A pillar trim is easy. Use a trim removal tool to pop the top spring clip of the trim piece at the headliner. Be aware there is a small bungee cord bolted to the A pillar trim and to A pillar. Presumably this bungee keeps the trim panel from flying off when there is an airbag deployment. Unbolt both ends and remove the cord. Then remove the two torx screws that attach the speaker to the trim panel.
You can then lift the trim panel upward and out. No dash disassembly is required.

My 2021 Yukon Denali has the Pearl Beige Metallic paint with the Teak/light shale interior. The identification on the existing A pillar trim panel says it’s color is whisper beige. Since GM only offered these interior colors on the Denali, I had to live with whatever color A pillar trim panel with assist handle I could find.

I ended up finding a Dark Atmosphere trim with assist handle and the associated caps (2) to cover the fasteners at GMPartsdirect.com. I purchased these last spring so I don’t if they are still available. However, the part number for the assist handle is 84691899 and the cap part number is 84545065.

Now, before I started, I made the assumption that GM provided the mounting provisions on the A pillar for the two mounting bolts that attach the assist handle to the structure. I figured that all Yukon body frames started out the same to save costs.

I was partially correct. The mounting holes and reinforcement was there, but the holes did not have threads for bolts. Not a big issue.

I measured the hole size and determined it to be approximately .218” in diameter. From this I decided this would be close enough for either a 1/4-28 tap or a 6mm fine tap. Since I already had a 1/4-28 tap, I proceeded to tap both holes for 1/4-28 x 1-1/2” long bolts.

1F479C55-0D34-4FB0-BF11-E0431940051B.jpeg

I looked at trying to modify the new assist handle trim piece to accommodate the existing speaker, but decided I neither had the skills or the tooling necessary to do a job that looked professional. The speaker mounting is thermoformed into the trim piece. Anything I would have tried would have looked like a butcher job. I ended up Ty wrapping the speaker to the plastic tube running down the A pillar.
3D255407-B2A9-4781-B135-0780F69DEB2E.jpeg

I took the original A pillar trim panel to Lowes and found a spray paint that was remarkably close to the original color. It took several coats of paint to fully cover the original Dark Atmosphere color but it turned out as well as I expected.

AC205649-4E9A-4320-8E81-D1E02ED8F411.jpeg

Installing the new assist handle went ok once I got all the tabs lined up. Bolting it down went well too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011