2021 Denali Assist Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larryo

Reaction score
We’ve had our 2021 Yukon Denali for 3 weeks now. No major issues so far.
The only gripe I have is about the front passenger assist handle location.
On the SLE/SLT/AT4, the assist handle is located on the A pillar while on the Denali it’s mounted over the passenger door.
IMO, the overhead location is awkward to use when entering the vehicle, especially for a person with disabilities.
The only reason I can figure as to why GMC located the assist handle differently on the Denali is due to a speaker being located in the A pillar trim.
I would think that the structure under the trim piece for mounting the assist handle would the same on all Yukon’s, so I’m wondering if it would be possible to retrofit a handle from another model?

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a person with disabilities, I’d like to thank you for identifying this. I was not aware of any difference and have been leaning towards Denali for its air ride suspension that drops 2” when parked.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’ve had our 2021 Yukon Denali for 3 weeks now. No major issues so far.
The only gripe I have is about the front passenger assist handle location.
On the SLE/SLT/AT4, the assist handle is located on the A pillar while on the Denali it’s mounted over the passenger door.
IMO, the overhead location is awkward to use when entering the vehicle, especially for a person with disabilities.
The only reason I can figure as to why GMC located the assist handle differently on the Denali is due to a speaker being located in the A pillar trim.
I would think that the structure under the trim piece for mounting the assist handle would the same on all Yukon’s, so I’m wondering if it would be possible to retrofit a handle from another model?

Pull the pillar and look for the bolt holes, I bet you could get a pillar and handle from another model but you'll know for sure when pulling the original down to see what's behind it.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a person with disabilities, I’d like to thank you for identifying this. I was not aware of any difference and have been leaning towards Denali for its air ride suspension that drops 2” when parked.

It does show this in advertising material that the handle is not there on Denali, but is on other levels... so they are not trying to be deceptive.....

OP
OP
L

larryo

Reaction score
I don’t think that any deception is intended. However, unless you are looking at that detail, it can be easily missed.
We just didn’t really notice it in the photos. Unfortunately, when we were first looking at the 2021 Yukon, all they had available for us to drive was an SLT.
One of the main reasons for ordering the Denali was for the retractable running boards which are wider and lower than the fixed running boards on the other models. My wife has issues with her legs as well as in her shoulders. The lower running boards make it easier for her, but the overhead assist handle make it more difficult.
I contacted the dealer about a possible retrofit, but all they did was caution me about doing any modifications that would void the warranty.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we noticed the same thing while test driving. retrofit is not going to be easy, and dealer may not do it anyway. The Denali A pillar speaker isn't present in the other trim levels that have the handle - and the handle is part of the A pillar trim, not attached over top. Also, with the different shaped dash, the handle may have interfered with airbag deployment. Be careful about modding it, could have unintended consequences.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked, and like Denali, Escalade is missing the passenger grip at the A pillar. Once again, it seems to be speaker-related.

There is a grip at the headliner, though.

I must say that the grip at the A pillar looks very truck-like. Whereas the clean A pillar looks more luxurious.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked, and like Denali, Escalade is missing the passenger grip at the A pillar. Once again, it seems to be speaker-related.

There is a grip at the headliner, though.

I must say that the grip at the A pillar looks very truck-like. Whereas the clean A pillar looks more luxurious.

I don't disagree about the look. But if someone really needs the stability of the A-pillar handle, there's a good chance that the one above the door will be too high.

OP
OP
L

larryo

Reaction score
I don't disagree about the look. But if someone really needs the stability of the A-pillar handle, there's a good chance that the one above the door will be too high.
Exactly my point. The overhead assist handle requires that the passenger use their left hand tp,pull themselves up into the seat, whereas with the A pillar assist handle, the right hand can be used to pull the passenger up into the seat.
IMO, Using the right hand is less awkward for a person that has reduced strength in their arms.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly my point. The overhead assist handle requires that the passenger use their left hand tp,pull themselves up into the seat, whereas with the A pillar assist handle, the right hand can be used to pull the passenger up into the seat.
IMO, Using the right hand is less awkward for a person that has reduced strength in their arms.

Espeicially since it's "out" not "up"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy