2019 Yukon XL Denali - Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please be aware I tried to put a 20 inch Spare in place of the regular spare. I wouldn’t firmly fit in the location. I was able to bolt it up , but it rocked. Created on hell of a vibration at highway speed had to put the 18 in spare back.

stock size tire?

as i have a 22" steelie spare & it fit fine

2lazy4agoodname

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone needing to service the kit or wants to piece it together hope this helps. Did a lot of digging and had some help from GMPP.

Rotors - 84263238 (2x)

Pads - 84263246

Pin Kit - 23278265 (2x)

Caliper Bolt (4x) - 11612265

Washers (4x) 21012386

Banjo Bolt - 11569590 (2x)

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting ready to get rid of my 2016 Yukon XL Denali and order a 2019. What do you guys think of the $2800 brake upgrade? I have never been happy with the brakes on the Yukon or Subruban. Maybe because I drive it full of people and drive it hard. Any thoughts good or bad? I’m thinking about adding it on. I would love some opinions and experiences. Are they that much better?

GMC-Branded Performance Front Brake Upgrade System
$2,795
  • Red Brembo® 6-piston, fixed aluminum calipers
  • Larger-than-stock 410 x 32mm (16.1-inch x 1.3-inch) Duralife™ rotors
  • 84% increase in brake pad area and a 42% increase in rotor area to increase system thermal capacity
  • Duralife™ rotors feature a hardened surface to reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration
I ordered the GM Brembo brake upgrade on my 2019 Denali and am very pleased with them. The braking performance is far superior to stock.

cfoote

Reaction score
I ordered the GM Brembo brake upgrade on my 2019 Denali and am very pleased with them. The braking performance is far superior to stock.

First and foremost I would wait and get the 2020 next year. They will be revealed soon. It will have some serious upgrades and better features.

The braking power will definitely be a whole lot better but the kit is overpriced for what you get in my opinion. If the rotors where from Brembo and were slotted/drilled it may make sense but they are OEM GM upgraded/performance rotors which are definitely better than stock. The Brembo calipers are great but that’s what you’re really paying for. I’ve had 3 Denali’s. 2015, 2015.5, and currently a 2016. The 2015 that was purchased early 2014 and my second 2015 that was purchased in 2015 had some great brakes. The 2016 model brakes are trash. So are the 2017 and 2018 compared to the 2015 model. I noticed the difference immediately and even drove some other 2016’s before I left the lot with the new vehicle to make sure. I’m thinking that GM changed the brake pads/rotors to something cheaper after 2015. After a lot of research and looking at a lot of reviews and videos, I spent a few hundred dollars on some Power Stop Truck and Tow pads and rotors for the front and it’s night and day compared to the factory brakes. You need to get the Truck and Tow version not the regular Truck version for the vehicle. You can spend a little over $400.00 and upgrade the front and rear if you want the rear as well. Keep $2800.00. Way overpriced even though you will get a much braking experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the impression that the 2016 brakes are trash. My old 2016 Yukon Denali front brakes lasted about 18K miles before the pads were shot. The rotors warped at 12K miles so replaced them with the pads. Exchanged it for the 2019 last last year and really appreciate the Brembo's!

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Brembo upgrade is a good one.

You cant go wrong with Wilwoods. I upgraded to Wilwoods on the Crew Cab originally. Was so happy and impressed with them that I repeated the same upgrade on the rest of the trucks. Steel braided brake hoses completes the mod just right.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the StopTech Trophy Sport Big Brake Kit is pretty good as well ;)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost I would wait and get the 2020 next year. They will be revealed soon. It will have some serious upgrades and better features.

The braking power will definitely be a whole lot better but the kit is overpriced for what you get in my opinion. If the rotors where from Brembo and were slotted/drilled it may make sense but they are OEM GM upgraded/performance rotors which are definitely better than stock. The Brembo calipers are great but that’s what you’re really paying for. I’ve had 3 Denali’s. 2015, 2015.5, and currently a 2016. The 2015 that was purchased early 2014 and my second 2015 that was purchased in 2015 had some great brakes. The 2016 model brakes are trash. So are the 2017 and 2018 compared to the 2015 model. I noticed the difference immediately and even drove some other 2016’s before I left the lot with the new vehicle to make sure. I’m thinking that GM changed the brake pads/rotors to something cheaper after 2015. After a lot of research and looking at a lot of reviews and videos, I spent a few hundred dollars on some Power Stop Truck and Tow pads and rotors for the front and it’s night and day compared to the factory brakes. You need to get the Truck and Tow version not the regular Truck version for the vehicle. You can spend a little over $400.00 and upgrade the front and rear if you want the rear as well. Keep $2800.00. Way overpriced even though you will get a much braking experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to look at gmpartsgiant to see if they did indeed change and guess what- they did. The calipers stayed the same from 2015-2016 but the rotors changed from 23144340 to 84023777 but what I find really strange is that the 2015 rotors are discontinued. So if you were to have them replaced by a dealer, you’d get the 2016 rotors which you guys say are not as good. I wonder how many people suddenly noticed their brakes got worse after having them serviced. Interesting.