2019 to 2020 trade opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me I would love to have the 6.2, but that forces me into the Premier which is a $24,000 bump in price to start. The manufacturers suck, they know lots of people would pay the extra cash for the 6.2 and tranny as a stand alone option but they are too greedy. You want that engine, pay us for every other option we have to get it.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing that sucks is these direct injection engines are day by day coking up the valves. I wonder what kind of longevity these are going to have compared to the port injected engines. I suspect you won't be getting 250,000 miles out of these without having to tear down enough to blast the the valves free of all the buildup.....but by then it will be out of warranty and GM will tell you it's your problem. I've read a lot on direct injection and it is an issue that they either won't or can't address. I have never given catch cans a second thought but if anything might get an advantage from one its these GDI engines IMO. GM will attempt to void your warranty dependent on what's broken if they find one on there. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

chevs10zr2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a Tahoe/Sub has 3.42’s without running the Vin or looking at the RPO codes? Looking for a used one with 3.42’s has been tough. Is it fair to say if it has the trailer controller on the dash, it has 3.42’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not use the rpo codes? The hard way to tell the gear ratio would be to raise the rear wheels off the ground, mark a spot on the tire, and then rotate the tire while counting how many times the driveshaft turns till the spot on the tire comes around 1 time. Example is if the driveshaft turns 4 times to get one revolution of the spot on the tire, the ratio would be around 4.10. So a 3.42 the driveshaft should rotate almost 3 and a half times.

Lt Belspur

Reaction score
Run, do not walk, to Black Bear Performance. Justin tuned mine in person. I'm happy as can be.

I told him that I'm a suburban dad who just wants optimized throttle response and transmission shift points, and I wasn't looking to do burnouts or 11-seconds in the 1/4 mile. He also converted my Tow Mode to Sport Mode. Made it a whole new truck.

Is sport mode a standard or custom option?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is sport mode a standard or custom option?

Justin asked me if I wanted him to 'convert' the factory Tow Mode feature to Sport Mode. There was no extra charge for it at that time (Spring 2017). I think, but don't know for sure, that it's a no-charge option for all tunes that BBP provides.

I don't use it often, but it's very noticeable when selected. It raises the shift points, firms up the shifts and pretty much eeks out every ounce of juice the otherwise stock engine & trans can yield. Truck definitely gets up and moves out sharply.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my mind the next generation is going to bring in all trim levels push or dial shiftier, start/stop crap where the engine shuts off every stop, IRS, buzzing seats and all sorts of warnings going off, involuntary braking etc. These are all things I want no part of. I realize I am in the minority here but I'm 56 years old and I want a regular old fashioned truck, or as close as I can get to one. So I think 2020 is going to be my last shot at buying that new....that's the only reason I want to keep it longer than I usually do. To each their own as they say. So I would like the best performance from the factory I can get in the trim level that doesn't include all the modern features everyone seems to love. That leaves me with the LS. Again, I think I will have to drive one with 3:42's and see if I notice a difference I'm willing to pay for.

I have an 18 LS 2WD with the 5.3 and 3.08's. The blackbear tune and AFE cold air intake made a WORLD of difference in performance. Before you bail on your 19 or drive yourself nuts trying to find one with a 3.42 ratio, get the tune done in your truck. Its not a difficult process to follow and you will be pleased with the results.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 runs good with the ten speed, just don't do what I did and drive one of these, because then the 6.2 was boring, Callaway fixed that but good, and could not be more pleased, it's better everyday
2019%20Callaway%20Tahoe%201231_zpsh51gdnzy.jpg
What calipers do you have?

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I made a decision and made the deal with my dealer. He is gonna order me a 2020 black Tahoe LS Custom Edition with the Max Trailering Package (3:42's, 2 speed Transfer Case and Air Leveler Suspension). When it comes in they are gonna take everything that makes my 19 a Midnight Edition and switch it all onto the 2020 LS Custom. So I will basically have what I want but what Chevy won't build, an LS Custom Midnight Edition with the Max Trailering Package. Does it make financial sense, no, but it will be a year newer, the way I want it, and under warranty. I added up the price for all the parts that I would need to buy if I were to do this myself and it comes in at $5470. Then I would have to be trying to Ebay all the parts off the new one which I have no desire to do. So in the end the whole thing is going to cost me 10 grand (depreciation). They actually had an allotment for the LS Custom and were going to order one to put on their lot anyway so if I ever did change my mind I can walk away from the deal if I choose. I want the warranty intact for at least enough time to see if it's going to be a lemon or a solid truck. I can always tune it down the line if I want when the warranty expires or close to it. At least for me now it will have the 2 speed transfer case and the 3:42's under warranty for if I want 3 years. I always order my vehicles, and I always order the best gearing available....this time on my 2019 I took one off the lot and took a chance that I would adjust to the 3:08's. I was wrong and it is a mistake I won't make again. Live and learn. I'm not trying to PO anyone with 3:08's, they're just not for me. As I said most people would not take the hit but for me keeping the warranty lets me stay in my comfort zone, and it will be the exact truck I want within reason (6.2 would be nice). It will also probably be the only one like it under warranty. Other than putting on the PPV air dam I don't see anything I want to do for probably the warranty period. Thanks for all the good input and suggestions. I'm OK with what I'm doing, carry on....

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you come back and tell us how bad ass those 3.42s are. It will help towing, but not much anywhere else...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879