2019 to 2020 trade opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a 2019 Tahoe LS Custom Midnight Edition last October. This package is only available with 3:08 gearing. I thought I could live with it but I find the acceleration from a stop is horrible to me. My last 3 trucks were Rams with 3:92 gears and 390 HP so going to 355 HP with 3:08’s has been kind of a shock to my system. I just really loved the way the Midnight edition looks and that’s what hooked me. I was at the dealer today getting service and was throwing around the idea of just trading it in on a black 2020 LS Custom which is available with the Max Trailer PKG and 3:42’s. They will switch all the Midnight Edition black stuff from my 2019 over to the 2020. The only other choice I had was to regear the 2019 but GM offers no support for flashing the computer to accommodate the new ratio even if they replace the boxes….hence goodbye PT warranty. The only other difference I can see is a Z85 premium smooth ride suspension that comes with the Max Trailer Package. The depreciation hit is going to be pretty big, like 10 grand, but I want to keep the truck for a while and I don’t want to lose or have questioned my power train warranty. I am kind of the opposite of most people, I don’t want all the newest electronic stuff and IRS, I just want as old fashioned a truck as is available. My questions are from people who have owned both ratios, do you feel a significant difference in pull from a dead stop with the 3:42’s, and how does this Z85 suspension affect the ride height and feel over the regular LS suspension? Also getting the two speed transfer case is a plus for me. Thank You.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a 2019 Tahoe LS Custom Midnight Edition last October. This package is only available with 3:08 gearing. I thought I could live with it but I find the acceleration from a stop is horrible to me. My last 3 trucks were Rams with 3:92 gears and 390 HP so going to 355 HP with 3:08’s has been kind of a shock to my system. I just really loved the way the Midnight edition looks and that’s what hooked me. I was at the dealer today getting service and was throwing around the idea of just trading it in on a black 2020 LS Custom which is available with the Max Trailer PKG and 3:42’s. They will switch all the Midnight Edition black stuff from my 2019 over to the 2020. The only other choice I had was to regear the 2019 but GM offers no support for flashing the computer to accommodate the new ratio even if they replace the boxes….hence goodbye PT warranty. The only other difference I can see is a Z85 premium smooth ride suspension that comes with the Max Trailer Package. The depreciation hit is going to be pretty big, like 10 grand, but I want to keep the truck for a while and I don’t want to lose or have questioned my power train warranty. I am kind of the opposite of most people, I don’t want all the newest electronic stuff and IRS, I just want as old fashioned a truck as is available. My questions are from people who have owned both ratios, do you feel a significant difference in pull from a dead stop with the 3:42’s, and how does this Z85 suspension affect the ride height and feel over the regular LS suspension? Also getting the two speed transfer case is a plus for me. Thank You.

Curious, Chris, what transmission was in the last Ram with the 3.92 gears and 390 horse motor?

Did you know that a relatively simple conversion to E85 with your Tahoe will produce 380 HP and 416 FTLBS of Torque?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

I think they feel best with 3.73s.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Tahoe is just slower than your Ram was. What was the final drive ratio of your Rams? The transmission gears are just as important. The pumpkin gears meant a lot when everyone had 3-4 gears in the tranny, but now that trucks have 6-10 gears in the transmission, its not near as important (takes 2 to tango). Its actually better to have the tall on the transmission side vs. the gear side for longevity, so manufacturers have made changes (except some truck manufacturers who widen eyes with ratios)...

So I actually have changed my gears from 3.08 to 3.42s on a 2011 base LS 6 speed avalanche because I was adding a truetrack to tow my boat. It only cost a couple hundred more to change the gears. I didn't think it made a huge difference, and from a stop I thought the 1st gear was not as good at launch as it is ridiculously too low. I also got about 40 miles less on fill up with about 27 gallons every time (held 31 gallons). I traded that 11 2wd for a loaded 2013 4wd with the 3.42s. I had a custom tune done which, by far, made the biggest difference in driveability, but I had to use premium, and only got about 15 MPG. Traded that for a 2018 suburban with 3.08, and must say I like the burb the best. It is so smooth, shifts well, and get great MPG. Its probably the extra HP that makes it better. The only time I would change gears again is if I got a lot larger tires. You need a 6.2...

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to take that kind of depreciation hit and want to keep you’re truck for a long time, have you considered getting a 6.2l? You can get it with both the Tahoe and Denali. Though based on what you said about not wanting extra bells and whistles, you may want to go the Tahoe route and delete any option you can, other than the 6.2. Test drive it; you will not be disappointed with the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last Ram I had I believe had a 5 speed auto. It was very strong from a dead stop, and everywhere else too lol. It was a regular cab so it was relatively light. I realize this Tahoe is just not going to perform in the same way, but it feels dead to me off the line. Once it's moving it's fine. I had a loaner Equinox, and my Mothers 4 cylinder Camry and they both are quicker to get going IMO. I had a beater Dodge Minivan which had a 6 speed and 286 HP and that was much more responsive from a stop. I always order my new vehicles and always check off the best gearing, unfortunately GM is playing some kind of game with the Tahoe. As soon as you try to check a box for anything black like assist steps or rims it forces you to remove the 3:42. I don't get it, the Tahoe LS Custom and the Tahoe LS Custom Midnight Edition are the same exact vehicle except for the colors of a few things that have nothing to do with function yet you can't get 3:42's on the Midnight. I don't care about losing a MPG or 2 at all so 3:42's have no drawback for me. I am just interested in people who have driven both with the 5.3 Ecotec and the 6 speed transmission. Do you notice a positive difference with the 3:42's? I would think you would have to but I'm asking anyway to hear real world experience. Thanks.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a supercharger installed that maintains warranty ;)

callaway, hennessey, etc

THIS.

If I'm wanting significantly more grunt, I'd much sooner throw $10k (or less) at a good quality supercharger install than absorb a $10k hit to trade for slightly more aggressive gearing. You'll end up with more real, usable power----and while you won't get all that money back down the road when you sell or trade, you'll get some of it back.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap in a 3.73 gear or a supercharger... if you are stuck, filter, and a good tune will make it wake up.

Talk to a tuner on here. Blackbear, they may be able to get you a tune to cover that axle swap... Honestly the gears on the 6 speed is a deep first much like the old 700r4 was... The top gears are for cruising with the 3.08... I agree the 3.08 is a dumb choice.. the 3.42 is a bit better but honestly not much of a difference sadly... The ram had 3.90 gears, trans are geared somewhat alike but ram before the 8 speed had its limitations, The downside of the ram is the drive lines don't stay together...

The tahoe is torque management also pulling you back from getting the performance you feel you dont have. When you wrench on these 5.3 they like rpm... power band is 3-5500 and the trans and torque management at light throttle keeps you under 2500... You will feel the torque come in good at about 2800 to 3k... It gets happy... Honestly you may want to trade for a 6.2 yukon or esky... The 6.2 with over 400 hp is a nice upgrade, you will feel about like the ram felt driving it once it gets adjusted to your driving habits and parameters... As everyone says get a 10 speed if your going to get the new ones... 6.2 with 10 is supposed to be on point..

I know the rams with an 8 speed made them alot quicker for sure... chevy 8 speed was not up to the task so they went 10 and it made the 6.2 come alive... I think at some point the 10 will work down into the 5.3's but i think its some of a price point why they dont.

bad part about the 3.08 is that AFM crap, you wont see it go into 4 cyl mode often with 3.08 gears.. it lugs when you do, that may be some of what you are feeling also when under cruise.. From a line, my superchips tuned 12 burb with 3.08 gear, will bark tires, scratch 2nd gear and get it.. Once it gets some rpm it will cook...

Its your money, we can spend it for you! haha...

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS.

If I'm wanting significantly more grunt, I'd much sooner throw $10k (or less) at a good quality supercharger install than absorb a $10k hit to trade for slightly more aggressive gearing. You'll end up with more real, usable power----and while you won't get all that money back down the road when you sell or trade, you'll get some of it back.
Only ones that you get return off of is the callaway sc480 tahoes and burbs... Custom package ones, but dang they are nice and livened up alot... I agree, cheap option 10k into supercharging, I think callaway offers a package also to add on to a stocker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy