2019 to 2020 trade opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Update us on how the 2020 drives please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I made a decision and made the deal with my dealer. He is gonna order me a 2020 black Tahoe LS Custom Edition with the Max Trailering Package (3:42's, 2 speed Transfer Case and Air Leveler Suspension). When it comes in they are gonna take everything that makes my 19 a Midnight Edition and switch it all onto the 2020 LS Custom. So I will basically have what I want but what Chevy won't build, an LS Custom Midnight Edition with the Max Trailering Package. Does it make financial sense, no, but it will be a year newer, the way I want it, and under warranty. I added up the price for all the parts that I would need to buy if I were to do this myself and it comes in at $5470. Then I would have to be trying to Ebay all the parts off the new one which I have no desire to do. So in the end the whole thing is going to cost me 10 grand (depreciation). They actually had an allotment for the LS Custom and were going to order one to put on their lot anyway so if I ever did change my mind I can walk away from the deal if I choose. I want the warranty intact for at least enough time to see if it's going to be a lemon or a solid truck. I can always tune it down the line if I want when the warranty expires or close to it. At least for me now it will have the 2 speed transfer case and the 3:42's under warranty for if I want 3 years. I always order my vehicles, and I always order the best gearing available....this time on my 2019 I took one off the lot and took a chance that I would adjust to the 3:08's. I was wrong and it is a mistake I won't make again. Live and learn. I'm not trying to PO anyone with 3:08's, they're just not for me. As I said most people would not take the hit but for me keeping the warranty lets me stay in my comfort zone, and it will be the exact truck I want within reason (6.2 would be nice). It will also probably be the only one like it under warranty. Other than putting on the PPV air dam I don't see anything I want to do for probably the warranty period. Thanks for all the good input and suggestions. I'm OK with what I'm doing, carry on....

When it comes in, pictures or it didn’t happen, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you come back and tell us how bad ass those 3.42s are. It will help towing, but not much anywhere else...
I'm not thinking 3:42's are going to turn it into a badass, and I certainly wouldn't come back on here if it were and rub it in anyone's face. It has to improve drive-ability where I drive it most, stoplight to stoplight....it has to, it's freaking math. I also have done a ton of camping and owned mountain property only accessible via steep log roads so towing a small camper up there is not out of the question in the future, or even a boat at some point. The two speed transfer case will be a plus also. Will it be night and day, no, but it will improve. I felt the difference in Dodge from 3:55 to 3:92. Yeah I can tune a 3:08, but I can tune a 3:42 also with better results. It's physics 3:42 is just a better base for everything else than 3:08. I won't do either for right now. Like I said I'm not screwing with my warranty on my brand new expensive for me truck, others who can afford to chance giving up the PT warranty on a brand new truck by having a third party reprogram your shift points and speedo I'm happy for you, and more power to you....really. I have no plan on criticizing you about it either, I just aint going that route at this time for my own reasons. Everyone has an opinion , good for you and live and let live. I know there are a lot of guys on here with 3:08 trucks and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their purchase because I did it myself, but I'm sorry my 3:08 truck is an absolute dog turd from a standing stop. I'm choosing to make it a half a turd instead and keep my warranty. I'm not rich and don't have a friend who is a GM Tech or a brother in law who owns a dealership to help me out if there's an issue. I want my warranty intact. I also want to keep the truck longer than usual because I am almost positive I will not like what's forced upon me in the 2021's.

I think the black 2020 LS Custom should look exactly the same as the 2019 LS Custom Midnight Edition I own right now after the swap except I'm having the PPV air deflector put on since the manual says they will remove the bumper cover to swap out grilles. It's a few minutes for them at that point and the dealer says no problem, we'll do it while we are right there, A freebie, except for the part of course. I have another deflector I cut down that I was going to put on myself but this looks better IMO.

I appreciate all the feedback including that some think it's not worth doing what I'm doing. Rest assured though I have no intention of bragging about how badass the results of the switch are, or anything else, that's not my thing. I enjoy the forum and I appreciate the good answers I have recently received on other threads, very helpful. Thanks again and carry on.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not thinking 3:42's are going to turn it into a badass, and I certainly wouldn't come back on here if it were and rub it in anyone's face. It has to improve drive-ability where I drive it most, stoplight to stoplight....it has to, it's freaking math. I also have done a ton of camping and owned mountain property only accessible via steep log roads so towing a small camper up there is not out of the question in the future, or even a boat at some point. The two speed transfer case will be a plus also. Will it be night and day, no, but it will improve. I felt the difference in Dodge from 3:55 to 3:92. Yeah I can tune a 3:08, but I can tune a 3:42 also with better results. It's physics 3:42 is just a better base for everything else than 3:08. I won't do either for right now. Like I said I'm not screwing with my warranty on my brand new expensive for me truck, others who can afford to chance giving up the PT warranty on a brand new truck by having a third party reprogram your shift points and speedo I'm happy for you, and more power to you....really. I have no plan on criticizing you about it either, I just aint going that route at this time for my own reasons. Everyone has an opinion , good for you and live and let live. I know there are a lot of guys on here with 3:08 trucks and I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their purchase because I did it myself, but I'm sorry my 3:08 truck is an absolute dog turd from a standing stop. I'm choosing to make it a half a turd instead and keep my warranty. I'm not rich and don't have a friend who is a GM Tech or a brother in law who owns a dealership to help me out if there's an issue. I want my warranty intact. I also want to keep the truck longer than usual because I am almost positive I will not like what's forced upon me in the 2021's.

I think the black 2020 LS Custom should look exactly the same as the 2019 LS Custom Midnight Edition I own right now after the swap except I'm having the PPV air deflector put on since the manual says they will remove the bumper cover to swap out grilles. It's a few minutes for them at that point and the dealer says no problem, we'll do it while we are right there, A freebie, except for the part of course. I have another deflector I cut down that I was going to put on myself but this looks better IMO.

I appreciate all the feedback including that some think it's not worth doing what I'm doing. Rest assured though I have no intention of bragging about how badass the results of the switch are, or anything else, that's not my thing. I enjoy the forum and I appreciate the good answers I have recently received on other threads, very helpful. Thanks again and carry on.

Enjoy your new truck, you don’t have to brag about your new truck, but let us know how you enjoy it and how everything worked out. Take before and after pics to document the transformation.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any rule here about posting a link so here it goes. This is another reason I want an LS and I want it before 2021. https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/drivers-sick-new-cars-technology I think if they broke down the responses by age older guys like me would be a substantial number of the polled that don't want this stuff. My friends who are 'car guys' have expressed no desire for all these things, but we are or are becoming a minority. To each his own but forcing some of this stuff on you as standard equipment is coming and it's not something everyone wants.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but the nanny features are there to protect you from yourself based on govt standards :anitoof:

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, we all know the government always has our best interests at heart....absolutely no other factors involved. Make all this stuff a choice and all people will be happy. Force it down the throats of some and you have dissatisfaction. A lot of people weren't around when you actually had free choice when ordering a car. You want a Biscayne with no options, not even carpeting but you want a 427...no problem. Now if I want a 6.2 engine I have to buy every trinket they can stuff in there to get it. The start stop will be the icing on the cake in these trucks at some point. Not being able to disable it will come at some point too and that will be the cherry on top.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts