2019 Custom Midnight thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
t1.jpg
I recently bought this 2019 Tahoe Custom Midnight Edition 4 wheel drive. Some thoughts on it after having it a month or two.

I had an 03 Suburban and loved it but always avoided the Tahoe because having no kids the third seat was a waste to me that took up most of the cargo room in back. This model has a third row delete and a reduced price of about 3 grand. It reminds me a little of my mid 80's Bronco, except with 2 more doors of course. This I love about the truck and am very happy with the setup.

I like the truck a lot overall but there are some things that are annoying. First off you can not get this specific model with a 3:42 rear, just 3:08. You can get a Tahoe Custom with a 3:42, but not the Custom Midnight Edition. I am used to driving Rams with 395 HP and 3:92 rear gears so this is a disappointment. I always order the best rear gears and Dodge will let you just check off the box you want, Chevy wants to force you into a higher trim.

The other thing I find that I don’t like is the throttle response is really odd……in a bad way. It seems like the accelerator is stiff, like it’s fighting you to stay out of it. I find I’m either crawling around town or I try to get moving a little and it takes a lot of pedal travel and then all hell breaks loose as it drops down a gear or two. Not much middle ground. I also have a delayed shifting issue I mention in another thread.

It may sound like I don’t like the truck but I really do. I just am frustrated with GM denying you the ability to make simple substitutions on the drive train, especially the rear gears on this particular truck. It would also be great if you could order the 6.2 on something that isn’t the premier. It could be so much nicer if they would keep their torque management, throttle response, and fuel mileage stuff a bit more unobtrusive. Those are my initial thoughts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great Chris, I like the wheels too but really can't see them! LOL

Well, you can always add gears. These things always run better with the transmissions tuned. Is that a 5.3 with the 6-speed?

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I LOVE your ride Chris..... it is good to hear about the 3:42 gears, I have a '19 on order and will be here in 12 weeks ! I did opt for the Premier package with the 5.3 and the 3:42's reassuring I did the right thing, also I took a Deanli for a spin at the dealership, and I really didn't notice the throttle response, you mention....maybe I was just overwhelmed with the luxury and how cool it really is.....wonder if GM has an update for the throttle response thing....

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe it's just me on the throttle response thing. I haven't bought a brand new Chevy since a 1998 Z28. I have had a bunch of brand new Dodges since then, all Hemi pickups with 3:92 rear gears and also still have a 392 Hemi Challenger so I am probably expecting too much from my Tahoe. The 3:08 doesn't help in that department lol. The pedal just seems stiff to me.

This is my daily driver so I really didn't want to spend a huge amount on it as it lives outdoors. I also don't want all the automated safety stuff, I just personally don't like not having total control and being nagged by my vehicle. So this specific model was perfect for me....except the forced 3:08. I do really like its looks and standard features though. If there is room in my garage in 3 years and the next generation looks good I will probably just give in and go upscale to get the better performance.

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine, when it gets here will be my daily driver too, I figured, if I'm spending 80 large, I may as well get all the goodies, as I think I will only be here once, and nearly everything I have has been top drawer, I am going for the Borla exhaust, and have them looking into a cold air system too....I want it to sound cool, and look cool, but by the same token be as economical and functional as possible, a lot to ask, but I may be able to pull it off.... I also know this is a truck, so if I really want to rock and roll I can take my Corvette out, BUT with that said, I LOVE these rides, and this is the reason I'm going for a '19 I hear GM is changing the style for next year , and I really like these...IF GM goes the way of the 3500 Silverado, which I don't really care for, then I would have missed a golden opportunity.... how are you finding the new ride overall ? I am going from an '08 Trailblazer to the Tahoe.....just a little larger ..... Your former Hemi power is great stuff too, I hear.... never had one ...I'm GM all the way.. LOL

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally hear you. I am concerned that IRS and start stop is coming in 2020 which is why I bought my 19. I usually order all mine and like you usually get the highest performance available. This time I said I'm just gonna take a low end trim off the lot and use it as a DD. Even a Tahoe LS isn't bad for a daily driver lol. I actually really like everything about it except the rear end. It's tight, no rattles, no vibrations or buffeting, it's comfortable, just a pleasant truck to use daily. I also like the way it looks. This is my first blacked out anything and I kind of dig it.

I was a GM guy my whole life. I had a ton of GM muscle cars. Bought the one in the pic in 86 and have it over 30 years. 67 SS Impala, 427, 4 speed Muncie M-20 with 3:73 12 bolt. I did get hookeIMCH.jpg d on the Dodges performance for new vehicles over the last 15 or so years. They do move. I had 5 new ones in a row and never saw the inside of a service bay.

I had a bad experience with a new 98 Camaro Z-28 so I went off GM for awhile. Now I'm giving Chevy another chance as these Tahoe/Suburbans have no competition except the Ford which with its ugly looks and 6 cylinder is never happening for me. I don't include non US brands as competition as I have never owned one. It sounds like yours is gonna be sweet. Good luck with it.

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'67 427 4 spd !!!!!!!!!!! Be still my heart....... beautiful rides, both cars, I have never been a Dodge guy, BUT those Challengers take it , they are really cool, and Dodge hit the nail on the head with that for sure.... got a local guy that has a Hellcat...... I don't mess with him in my Corvettes..... had a couple new Z 28's, one an IROC, liked them , wish I still had one ......one of my dream rides '65 Impala SS 409 4 spd.... I LOVE your garage......is that the beer fridge in the far corner?? LOL Yes, I agree with you as well, non American brands are not in the offing for me, never really been interested actually, I personally think the GM line is some of the nicest designed vehicles....thanks for the kind words.... it's going to be a LONG 12 weeks...

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the 65 409. That's a rare bird, I think they only put the 409's in the 65's for a few months and then they went to the Mark IV engines. I would LOVE to have one of those, plus 65 is a great looking year. Far corner of my garage is a blast cabinet.

The 12 weeks will fly by. I ordered a Manual Hellcat last year and after waiting 7 months they still couldn't produce the car so I got my money back. 3 months will be a breeze!!

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah 409's until about mid year 65, no beer fridge?? LOL!! Yeah, you are probably right on the 3 month thing, I waited 6 for my 93 Corvette, and I thought it better to get new truck after winter, so I can get used to how it handles and any anomalies BEFORE I got into the snow.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts