2019 Custom Midnight thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought for years if you ordered 4x4 it automatically came with 342 gears.
Nope. All three trim levels start off with a 3:08 rear, 4X2, or 4X4. On the LS trim no matter how you try to configure it once you select Midnight Edition you are forced into the 3:08. It makes no sense to me and almost stopped me from buying my truck. I don't understand the reasoning behind that prohibition.

aschevfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you have a ls midnight edition 4x4 with rear seat delete. That is cool. I had no idea you could order one this way.

Molinator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Custom Midnight and Have also noticed the accelerator issue.

That said, i really like the truck and look (traded in a 2011 Avalanche and was looking for something similar but not as unwieldy).

Small issue I have is the truck seems to “surge” slightly at low speeds in the am.

Had dealer check tranny and systems at 1st oil change but predictably found nothing wrong.

Since it’s a really minor thing I figured it’s just a characteristic of the vehicle and will move on, as nobody in my family but me seems to notice.

I replaced my chrome lugs with black totally darken my wheels.

Anyway - enjoy your ride!

JB11

Reaction score
Nope. All three trim levels start off with a 3:08 rear, 4X2, or 4X4. On the LS trim no matter how you try to configure it once you select Midnight Edition you are forced into the 3:08. It makes no sense to me and almost stopped me from buying my truck. I don't understand the reasoning behind that prohibition.

Your signature says it has 3.42 gears :think:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your signature says it has 3.42 gears :think:

orig post was also for a 2019,
sig shows 2020

as far as i know... max trailering pkg gets one the 3.42 gears...
so maybe he traded & upgraded it. shrug

JB11

Reaction score
orig post was also for a 2019,
sig shows 2020

as far as i know... max trailering pkg gets one the 3.42 gears...
so maybe he traded & upgraded it. shrug
Woops....my bad, I didn’t check the start date

I’m thinking of buying a custom 2WD with 3.08 but haven’t test driven one yet.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what's parked in your garage, I don't think you'll every be truly satisfied with your current Tahoe set up. 3.42 gears may help, but I'd send your Tahoe to Callaway for some special attention. Their SC480 package should deliver something much more satisfying.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in my 2019 Midnight Edition which had the 3.08's and ordered a Black 2020 LS Custom with the Max Trailer Package which has 3.42's. I had the dealer switch all the Midnight Edition parts from my 2019 to my 2020 so that's why my signature says LS Custom Midnight Edition with 3.42's. Technically if you look up the VIN it will not say it's a Midnight Edition because my configuration doesn't exist but in reality it's the exact same truck as the 2019 except the 2020 has the 3.42's, the two speed transfer case, and the rear air shocks.

In my opinion both my Tahoe's have what I consider a stiff accelerator pedal. It seems to fight you. The trucks have power but I need to really get into the throttle more than any other vehicle I have owned to get it. My Mom has a 4 cylinder Camry which just a light press gets it going pretty good. I had a beater minivan which was the same way as her Camry, but these 5.3 Tahoe's it seems I have to get pretty far into the throttle and then it gives me more than I want for the situation. It's hard to explain but it's like all or nothing. The throttle calibration is not to my liking is the only way I can put it. I'm not comparing it to my other cars which are fast, I'm comparing it to other daily drivers I have owned. I have owned a bunch of full sized pickup trucks too so I'm used to how a vehicle this size should respond to throttle inputs. That's just my observation and opinion.

JB11

Reaction score
I didn’t like the throttle lag on my Ram (5.7 with 8sp and 3.92) so I added the pedal commander. However the issue your describing sounds just the opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt