2018 Yukon Denali waze GPS connection issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In brief...The Waze app is not functioning properly in the new 2018 GMC Yukon on the iPhone 7. It constantly reads "waiting for GPS signal...try going outside" Waze worked perfectly in my 2015 Yukon which I traded in last month, and it worked great on my iPhone 6s. True, there are many reported issues with the GPS on different batches of iPhone 7's which is why I went through the trouble of replacing it (ug...no fun) thinking that was the problem, but no. Since then I have tried WAZE in a Jeep grand Cherokee, Range Rover & other Chevy trucks...no problem at all with the GPS in any other vehicle. To save some troubleshooting question response time I have also tried the following: Turning CarPlay OFF/ON, Turning my Yukons hot spot WiFi OFF/ON, Turning Bluetooth OFF/ON, Plugging the phone into the USB directly, unplugging it, Turning iPhones Cellular data OFF/ON, Turning iPhones WiFi OFF/ON, and of course scouring the internet for like issues..and problem solving. No help. Can someone please help me, what am I missing..I can't drive without waze and I love my truck..please don't make me choose.

rinconmike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon Denali with Ultimate package and use android and Waze works fine. Works with just the phone or android auto. Tried with both a Pixel XL and a Pixel 2 XL.

Does Google maps pick up the GPS signal on your phone?

My kids have an iPhone 6 and wife a 7. When I get a chance I will see if Waze works on their iPhone in the car. Not plugged into anything.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jason Miller

Jason Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RinconMike - Thank you for the response! I deleted the maze app, reinstalled it. Didn't work. Google Maps does work, but I don't use it regularly, so I'm not sure how quickly it usually responds. Waze used to be spot on with pin point accuracy.. no more.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I though the Waze app will only work thru CarPlay on Android and not Apple unless you modify the connection and add after market equipment?

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Turn off power saving features. I had the same issue with my android and google maps. The power saving feature was causing exactly that "can't find GPS error", once I discovered that, it's been flawless since.

OP
OP
Jason Miller

Jason Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turn off power saving features. I had the same issue with my android and google maps. The power saving feature was causing exactly that "can't find GPS error", once I discovered that, it's been flawless since.
Thank you for responding - where do I find this feature in the iPhone?

OP
OP
Jason Miller

Jason Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found it - it turns out this was already turned off - - I spent the last week troubleshooting with Apple techs. We went through too many procedures to even list here and now at the very end after going all the way through to a reset in factory settings and backing up over four times I'm finally just switching to an iPhone 8 and hope that that solves the problem.

OP
OP
Jason Miller

Jason Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK so this is the latest and greatest. After troubleshooting with Apple and their "Geniuses" on three different iPhone 7's, thinking that was the problem, we tried it on a iPhone 8. the Waze problems persisted. Simultaneously I worked with the Waze technicians setting and toggling and resetting uninstalling and reinstalling without any success. However I did notice that my Waze app works perfectly in my wife's car and in my daughters car even after all of the iPhone iOS updates (11.1.1). I've taken three UBER's since and the phone & Waze worked perfectly in all the other vehicles. Finally I took it into the dealership and had the technicians turn on Waze on all their iPhones and test before getting in my truck. Then I had them get in my 2018 Yukon Denali with me & drive around. Guess what.... All of their phones GPS's started to malfunction and not just using Waze, but Google Maps too. We all troubleshot with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turning them both on and off, but nothing corrected it until we got out of the vehicle and turned it off. Then Waze & GPS worked again on all our phones perfectly. We believe it has something to do with the cars internal Wi-Fi hotspot which I am currently having disabled for my road trip this week. I'll keep ya'll posted!

rinconmike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At least they acknowledge there is an issue. Can you just disable the hotspot from the screen in the car?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk