2018 Yukon Denali waze GPS connection issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. I'm from the flip phone generation and have had an S7 for less than a year. Finally got Waze working through Android Auto in my 2018 Denali but have phone plugged into usb port. Will it work wireless or is the cord required? Can always try it and find out........

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. I'm from the flip phone generation and have had an S7 for less than a year. Finally got Waze working through Android Auto in my 2018 Denali but have phone plugged into usb port. Will it work wireless or is the cord required? Can always try it and find out........
Cord is required until something changes either with CarPlay/GM/Apple suits making the decision to allow it.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cord is required until something changes either with CarPlay/GM/Apple suits making the decision to allow it.
Thanks for the heads up . Will pick up a shorter cord then.

Discovered Waze several months ago on a trip, it's kind of like having a CB radio back in the day.

Gadgetgirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was wondering if you had any luck getting to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a 2017 Escalade waze/google maps does not work in the car using an Iphone X or Iphone 7. Waze works perfectly fine in any other car or outside..

I have not updated my iPhone X yet to IOS 12. In my 2018 Yukon Denali Google Maps nor Waze works.Using the GPS Diagnostics app, it show that no GPS satellites are being picked up by the phone (inside the Yukon). I discovered today that if I connect the iPhone via usb (for CarPlay) the phone “sees” the GPS signals again and Google Maps and Waze function (but with no audio).

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not updated my iPhone X yet to IOS 12. In my 2018 Yukon Denali Google Maps nor Waze works.Using the GPS Diagnostics app, it show that no GPS satellites are being picked up by the phone (inside the Yukon). I discovered today that if I connect the iPhone via usb (for CarPlay) the phone “sees” the GPS signals again and Google Maps and Waze function (but with no audio).
I believe your idevice must have iOS 12. Mine works on my 16 Tahoe

Tahoegirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK so this is the latest and greatest. After troubleshooting with Apple and their "Geniuses" on three different iPhone 7's, thinking that was the problem, we tried it on a iPhone 8. the Waze problems persisted. Simultaneously I worked with the Waze technicians setting and toggling and resetting uninstalling and reinstalling without any success. However I did notice that my Waze app works perfectly in my wife's car and in my daughters car even after all of the iPhone iOS updates (11.1.1). I've taken three UBER's since and the phone & Waze worked perfectly in all the other vehicles. Finally I took it into the dealership and had the technicians turn on Waze on all their iPhones and test before getting in my truck. Then I had them get in my 2018 Yukon Denali with me & drive around. Guess what.... All of their phones GPS's started to malfunction and not just using Waze, but Google Maps too. We all troubleshot with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turning them both on and off, but nothing corrected it until we got out of the vehicle and turned it off. Then Waze & GPS worked again on all our phones perfectly. We believe it has something to do with the cars internal Wi-Fi hotspot which I am currently having disabled for my road trip this week. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Did disabling WiFi work?

Tahoegirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. It's horrible! I have a 2018 Tahoe and an iPhone 8 plus. My waze app works in all other vehicles. Google maps doesn't work either. Has anyone figured it out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon