2018 Yukon Denali waze GPS connection issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike12345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In brief...The Waze app is not functioning properly in the new 2018 GMC Yukon on the iPhone 7. It constantly reads "waiting for GPS signal...try going outside" Waze worked perfectly in my 2015 Yukon which I traded in last month, and it worked great on my iPhone 6s. True, there are many reported issues with the GPS on different batches of iPhone 7's which is why I went through the trouble of replacing it (ug...no fun) thinking that was the problem, but no. Since then I have tried WAZE in a Jeep grand Cherokee, Range Rover & other Chevy trucks...no problem at all with the GPS in any other vehicle. To save some troubleshooting question response time I have also tried the following: Turning CarPlay OFF/ON, Turning my Yukons hot spot WiFi OFF/ON, Turning Bluetooth OFF/ON, Plugging the phone into the USB directly, unplugging it, Turning iPhones Cellular data OFF/ON, Turning iPhones WiFi OFF/ON, and of course scouring the internet for like issues..and problem solving. No help. Can someone please help me, what am I missing..I can't drive without waze and I love my truck..please don't make me choose.

Was wondering if you had any luck getting to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a 2017 Escalade waze/google maps does not work in the car using an Iphone X or Iphone 7. Waze works perfectly fine in any other car or outside..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if you had any luck getting to the bottom of this? I am having the same problem with a 2017 Escalade waze/google maps does not work in the car using an Iphone X or Iphone 7. Waze works perfectly fine in any other car or outside..
again I would suggest going by a 2-way radio shop and have them run a signal meter in your truck and see if they detect any signal output interfering with the gps signal, they probably wouldn't even charge you anything just to check it out unless there uptight. you could probably even pick one up off ebay or amazon cheap there kind of neat to have around for checking different things. just be sure it covers the gps spectrum which is 1575.42 MHz (10.23 MHz × 154) called L1; and a second at 1227.60 MHz (10.23 MHz × 120), called L2. either that or it's just an iphone thing.....

JamieYXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
again I would suggest going by a 2-way radio shop and have them run a signal meter in your truck and see if they detect any signal output interfering with the gps signal, they probably wouldn't even charge you anything just to check it out unless there uptight. you could probably even pick one up off ebay or amazon cheap there kind of neat to have around for checking different things. just be sure it covers the gps spectrum which is 1575.42 MHz (10.23 MHz × 154) called L1; and a second at 1227.60 MHz (10.23 MHz × 120), called L2. either that or it's just an iphone thing.....

Same issue here. Yukon XL 2018, iPhone 7. I am thinking it is related to the wireless charging because if I put it on the left side of the dash, it has a shot at picking it up. Any updates on this?

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 7 plus and I have a magnetic mount on the left side of the screen behind the gear shift lever.
I haven't had any issues with signal drop on the phone since I've moved my phone there.
I used to have issues if it were sitting in the cup holders or the other storage compartment in front of that.

Also does your truck have a sunroof? I have a sunroof so I might get better signal not having to pass through as much metal.

bgmspd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone resolved this issue by chance? I'm having the same issue in a 2018 Tahoe. No iPhone's will work operating Waze or Google Maps inside the vehicle. Just came from a 2016 with absolutely no issues.

gSwift

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2018 Denali with about 1000 miles on it and while I was recently on a business trip, I came across this thread. Needless to say, I was anxious to get home and test my Waze in my nice new truck.

I get home a few days ago and take it for a spin and sure enough it shows no network available on Waze... my wifi was on and it was connected to the truck. So next, I swiped down on my iPhone X and toggled off the wifi from there and the network issue was still present. **Note**By doing this, supposedly it only disables the wifi for 24 hours. If you want to turn it off completely, you have to go into settings and turn off wifi from there.

Upon completely turning off the wifi on my iPhone X from the settings I was able to perfectly operate my Waze app with no issues whatsoever.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. Hopefully its a work around and will help others

Sixfive34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same issue here. 2016 Tahoe. Impacts iphone x and 7 & Samsung note 8. Seems to be a problem when phones are anywhere near the front console. Doesn't bother phones in back seat. Passenger seat is sporadic but putting phone on dashboard usually recovers signal.

I agree with post about testing for a signal causing problems but I've always thought it was due to the bulk of all the overhead console from in front of the mirror to the sunroof.
I disabled wifi on the iphone x as suggested above and that didn't help.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note iOS 12 will support Waze and Google maps in CarPlay. I’m running Beta 6 now the final version should be out in about a month.

Sixfive34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a side note iOS 12 will support Waze and Google maps in CarPlay. I’m running Beta 6 now the final version should be out in about a month.
Great news! This may not help because it's an issue with the GPS signal, not waze itself. A person could find a 'sweet spot' in the vehicle where the gps works and leave the phone there if carplay works, eliminating the need to see the phone for guidance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaka1