2018 GMC Denali or Tahoe RST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Chevy's website if it comes with a 6.2L then it will have" active noise cancellation".

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have overlooked that. Irregardless, if Denalis are available in his area and Tahoe RSTs are not , it's a no brainier.

Really?

What’s a $400 plane ticket plus a few hours of driving or a few extra hundred $ on shipping when you’re spending $70K+?!?!

For $70K+ I’m going to get exactly what I want regardless of the vehicles proximity to my location.

I’ve purchased my last 3 vehicles out of state and they’ve been very smooth transactions.

If no Tahoe RST’s in your area; test drive a maxed out Tahoe LTZ with the 5.3/6 speed. Then drive a Denali with the 6.2/10 speed and see which one feels better. That will decide your powertrain.

Then from there it’s pretty much just styling and preference of looks.

Denali = a bit more chrome trim maybe more “luxury” appalling.
Tahoe RST = more black and/or painted to match and less chrome.
Each have different style headlights and taillights.

Figure out which one has the looks/styling you prefer.

wa3cuj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still breaking in my '18 4wd Denali and couldn't be more pleased with the performance and gas mileage; the 10 speed being flawless. Not great mpg around town but 24+ on highway.

Is your highway mileage a calculated value or what you are seeing on the display? I have been tracking my mileage since the day I drove it off the lot and have compared each tank full against what the display shows. I have found the display to be generally 2 or more mpg higher than the actual values. I drove from Central PA to Philadelphia and back yesterday and my display showed 23.6 mpg, but I am willing to bet that I didn't get much over 19.5. I only have 4300 miles on my 2018 and am hoping that the mileage might improve slightly yet.(That always seemed to happen around 5000 miles on all of my Lexus SUV's that I have owned.)

RickDA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve owned both a 2015 Denali 4WD w/22”s and 2017 Tahoe LT 2WD w/ 20”s.

The 6.2L is the game changer. If you need it , then pay up!

My wife was the same way. Let the decision up to me. I went 6.2 Denali the first time, but after the lease was up, we moved to a nicely loaded 5.3 LT. I loved the 6.2, but $300 more per month payment in the end wasn’t worth it to me.

Plus the 22” tires wear much faster than the 20”. And the ride is not as forgiving, even with the magnetic ride suspension.

If money is no object, then get the Denali , otherwise save the money. I don’t miss the Denali that much.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your highway mileage a calculated value or what you are seeing on the display? I have been tracking my mileage since the day I drove it off the lot and have compared each tank full against what the display shows. I have found the display to be generally 2 or more mpg higher than the actual values. I drove from Central PA to Philadelphia and back yesterday and my display showed 23.6 mpg, but I am willing to bet that I didn't get much over 19.5. I only have 4300 miles on my 2018 and am hoping that the mileage might improve slightly yet.(That always seemed to happen around 5000 miles on all of my Lexus SUV's that I have owned.)

Both calculated and displayed are very close within 1/10 or so. Mine is just hitting 5000 and there has been an improvement since the first tankful . Around town is more like 16 mpg, average speed 30 mph. Post your calculated mpg from your trip next time if you are able.

TopGunMaverick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Denali is considered “Luxury” regardless of the fact it shares almost identical specs as the RST. Your resale will definitely be higher with the Denali and you can always go with the Ultimate Black Package to fit it out in the styling of the RST. IMO Denali all the way. The badging alone makes me “feel” like it’s more special. I have a lot of friends in the limo biz with LTZ Suburbans and they are all jealous of my Black/Black Denali

OP
OP
J

jpcortese

Reaction score
I’ve owned both a 2015 Denali 4WD w/22”s and 2017 Tahoe LT 2WD w/ 20”s.

The 6.2L is the game changer. If you need it , then pay up!

My wife was the same way. Let the decision up to me. I went 6.2 Denali the first time, but after the lease was up, we moved to a nicely loaded 5.3 LT. I loved the 6.2, but $300 more per month payment in the end wasn’t worth it to me.

Plus the 22” tires wear much faster than the 20”. And the ride is not as forgiving, even with the magnetic ride suspension.

If money is no object, then get the Denali , otherwise save the money. I don’t miss the Denali that much.

I have to sort this whole thing out with my wife. After a lot of thought, my wife told me she likes the looks of the Tahoe Premier better than the Yukon Denali. Questions for you. Is the 5.3 a dog compared to the 6.2 in the Denali? We saw the Premier with the RST package but it only had the 5.3. However it was priced about $8,000 less than the Denali. How would you compare the two?

Coronado126

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While I do agree the Yukon looks better in the back, I really like, IMO, the more aggressive front end of the RST. I do like the taillights on the Yukons more though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B