2018 GMC Denali or Tahoe RST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcortese

Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, my wife and I are looking at a new 2018 Denali or Tahoe RST. Can I get some guidance as to which way to go? RST's are hard to find and they seem to be priced similarly to the Denali, which are more available. Also, should I even consider a 6.2 or is the 5.3 engine adequate. My wife is indifferent and is leaving the decision up to me. Seems like there are more Tahoe's with the 5.3 available in my area and virtually no RST's (but plenty of Denali's).

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denali all the way! IMO it looks better and past history shows the Denali has better resale. Don't get me wrong the RST is nice but imo I would jump on the Denali!

Reaction score
Whichever way you go, go with the 6.2 for sure. You'll not only get a gutsy engine, you'll get 10 speeds instead of 6! I've had a 2015 and 2016 5.3 before switching up to a 2018 with 6.2/10 speed. Trust me, no comparison. The 10 speed is the most flawless shifting transmission I've ever driven. I also have a 2018 F-150 10-speed and it doesn't shift nearly as nice as the Denali. GM hit a home run with this combo.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whichever way you go, go with the 6.2 for sure. You'll not only get a gutsy engine, you'll get 10 speeds instead of 6! I've had a 2015 and 2016 5.3 before switching up to a 2018 with 6.2/10 speed. Trust me, no comparison. The 10 speed is the most flawless shifting transmission I've ever driven. I also have a 2018 F-150 10-speed and it doesn't shift nearly as nice as the Denali. GM hit a home run with this combo.

Fyi it's the same tranny. Believe it or not it was a collaboration between GM and Ford. I'm sure there are minor differences but its 99% identical. Buy a new Camaro or Escalade and get the same trans. Crazy, right?

Reaction score
Fyi it's the same tranny. Believe it or not it was a collaboration between GM and Ford. I'm sure there are minor differences but its 99% identical. Buy a new Camaro or Escalade and get the same trans. Crazy, right?
I know, but the tune is definitely not the same. The Ford clunks, bangs and searches for gears like there's way too many. The Yukon is silky smooth shifting at literally every speed and RPM. It's a dream in comparison. I'm sure a tuner would help the Ford a lot, but I'm too cheap

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, my wife and I are looking at a new 2018 Denali or Tahoe RST. Can I get some guidance as to which way to go? RST's are hard to find and they seem to be priced similarly to the Denali, which are more available. Also, should I even consider a 6.2 or is the 5.3 engine adequate. My wife is indifferent and is leaving the decision up to me. Seems like there are more Tahoe's with the 5.3 available in my area and virtually no RST's (but plenty of Denali's).
If you are looking at an rst vs denali and main reason against one or the other is motor size.... rst can be had with bigger motor and may be a little bit cheaper than the denali, you’re gonna get more ‘luxury’ options than the chevy but it really just comes down to looks at that point.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that the Tahoe with the 6.2 is listed $500 higher than the Denali with same motor. If that is the case, the Denali wins on $$ alone plus, all the standard extras.

I'm still breaking in my '18 4wd Denali and couldn't be more pleased with the performance and gas mileage; the 10 speed being flawless. Not great mpg around town but 24+ on highway.

Personally , the styling of the Denali is superior to the Tahoe but, each to their own. Either choice, I believe you will be happy.

Reaction score
the Denali wins on $$ alone plus, all the standard extras.
Besides different exterior styling and branded headrests, there isn't really much in the Denali that isn't in the loaded RST, right? I came from a Suburban LTZ to a Denali Ultimate and (besides the powertrain upgrade) the only extra features I got were adaptive cruise and power running boards, both of which you can get on Chevy as well. Engine and trans being equal, it basically comes down to what you like to look at better unless I'm missing something.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not believe the Tahoe in any package is available with cabin " Active Noise Cancellation". Many passengers have commented on how quiet it is. Again, each to their own when it comes to styling but however small the numbers, the Denali seems a more sensible choice with the included options.

As John originally posted, there are "virtually no RST's (but plenty of Denali's)." in his area and his wife is giving him the go ahead. Pick up the Denali and enjoy.............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC