2017 Tahoe Rear Differential Cover, Mag Hytec, hits rear crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all

2017 Tahoe Premier 4x4, replacing the rear differential cover with a solid aluminum Mag Hytec 12-9.5.

However, it hits this crossmember, circled in the picture attached. What is the name of this crossmember, and do they make aftermarket replacements that go around thicker rear diff covers? Thanks

2021-02-20 (5).png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all

2017 Tahoe Premier 4x4, replacing the rear differential cover with a solid aluminum Mag Hytec 12-9.5.

However, it hits this crossmember, circled in the picture attached. What is the name of this crossmember, and do they make aftermarket replacements that go around thicker rear diff covers? Thanks

View attachment 271348
It is called a track bar or panhard bar
there are some aftermarket ones out there such a QA1 which has a little curve to it but no telling off hand if it will allow enough room to not hit a mag hytec, the mag's are pretty thick you may have put on the one for a pickup which will fit the suv but is the wrong one, or may take modification.

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully you have done your research on this style of pan...it only adds fluid, but in return causes more harm than good.

most OE went to a finned aluminum pan several years ago on HD trucks, BUT they still retain the barreled shape.

the flat back creates to much turbulence and aeration of the fluid.

OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No I have not done my research on this. Here is the inside of the Mag Hytec GM 12-9.5", and you are right it has a flat back, compared with stock. I remember reading something somewhere about extending a vent tube up higher to prevent spill out or something? is that the same thing going on? I forget exactly what they were talking about, but it seemed strange. So what's going to happen with excessive aeration? thanks

Mag Hytec GM-12-9-5 inside cover.jpg

OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once were done dealing with the trackbar, and shave of some aluminum fin for better sway bar clearance, we are done with this diff cover install. I'm wondering about aeration now with the 5 quarts of fluid.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hopefully you have done your research on this style of pan...it only adds fluid, but in return causes more harm than good.

most OE went to a finned aluminum pan several years ago on HD trucks, BUT they still retain the barreled shape.

the flat back creates to much turbulence and aeration of the fluid.
I had one on my 03 silverado for over 10 years never had a problem, it's still on there my sister has it now and when she took it had 240k on it

OP
OP
J

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well its on, but i had to jerry rig the trackbar. sigh. had to grind off a side fin as well, for sway bar clearance. kinda disappointed with mag-hytec.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well its on, but i had to jerry rig the trackbar. sigh. had to grind off a side fin as well, for sway bar clearance. kinda disappointed with mag-hytec.
I looked and can’t find the QA1 panhard bar for a 2017. Too bad, I’m pretty sure it will fit, I used one on my 02 in order to put a girdle on my diff which is about as thick as that cover. How did you make yours work?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most have never reported an issue, as they do not use the vehicle as they thought. the stock pan is probably the best version possible, hence the reason why they all look the same.

the flat back does not allow proper direction of fluid Up and Over the ring gear to the pinion bearing, it also creates a shear effect of the fluid as it get pounded straight into the cover, the aeration can lead to less lubrication as it allows excess air into the fluid

i would post a link to a series of videos, but most will take it as a sales gimmick... but if you just watch what goes on...it explains it for it self. Most just go with the marketing ploy sold to you buy the company selling the product.

like mentioned earlier, Ford and Ram both made a switch to aluminum pans around 2010, but retained the curved shape. the axle manufactures probably know what is best from there testing

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
most have never reported an issue, as they do not use the vehicle as they thought. the stock pan is probably the best version possible, hence the reason why they all look the same.

the flat back does not allow proper direction of fluid Up and Over the ring gear to the pinion bearing, it also creates a shear effect of the fluid as it get pounded straight into the cover, the aeration can lead to less lubrication as it allows excess air into the fluid

i would post a link to a series of videos, but most will take it as a sales gimmick... but if you just watch what goes on...it explains it for it self. Most just go with the marketing ploy sold to you buy the company selling the product.

like mentioned earlier, Ford and Ram both made a switch to aluminum pans around 2010, but retained the curved shape. the axle manufactures probably know what is best from there testing

Interesting video. I just learned a lot about the diff and the covers. Thanks for posting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne